Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I posted this on another thread and as told it was an EE. Someone said hen and another said roo. So I figured I would post to this thread and see if I could get more clarity possibly. This chick hatched Jan 11 out of a small light blue egg. I originally thought I had a cochin but have been told an EE. I haven't seen any saddle feathers so far and it feathered out really fast. The comb is not as red as it seems in the pic and there are no wattles yet. But he/she has gotten bigger than what it would.

I posted this on another thread and as told it was an EE. Someone said hen and another said roo. So I figured I would post to this thread and see if I could get more clarity possibly. This chick hatched Jan 11 out of a small light blue egg. I originally thought I had a cochin but have been told an EE. I haven't seen any saddle feathers so far and it feathered out really fast. The comb is not as red as it seems in the pic and there are no wattles yet. But he/she has gotten bigger than what it would.

the posture and tail shape seem like a pullet's but it does have 3 rows on the comb which usually belong to a cockerel.

Last edited:

Non of my EEs got any red until they were over 18 weeks. My roo didn't start getting saddles until 12 weeks. I think this is a tricky one, but on comb alone I'd guess roo.

heby, that is a very big comb for 9 weeks, and looks quite red, so I also think cockerel. Bearded birds (Ameraucanas) don't get wattles, so you can't use that to predict the sex.

Here is an EE pullet at about 8 weeks. Like Mickeechickee said, no change in the comb until about 18 weeks.

An adult Ameraucana hen.

I've been hoping for a hen but fearing that it is a roo. But we hatched it and will love it regardless. I don't think we could bear to part with our Marshmallow. :) Thank you all!

I've been hoping for a hen but fearing that it is a roo. But we hatched it and will love it regardless. I don't think we could bear to part with our Marshmallow. :) Thank you all!

Marshmallow is very cute. Please post an update when you find out for sure. It helps us all learn.

This is a tricky one. Once in a while, a hen comes along with 3 pea rows. Maybe this is one. I have a rooster that has one pea row. Do you have other chickens? How does this one behave within the group? I am leaning pullet on this one. I hope I am right for your sake.

I have an EE that I am not sure if it is a pullet or a rooster. It's comb is more pronounced than the pullets I have and it is getting a little more red than the rest. It's a month old right now. Hoping someone could tell me what you think.

I have an EE that I am not sure if it is a pullet or a rooster. It's comb is more pronounced than the pullets I have and it is getting a little more red than the rest. It's a month old right now. Hoping someone could tell me what you think.

from what you described and the black neck ring i'm thinking it's a boy 80%

Back
Top Bottom