Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

These are my almost 8 weeks old EE chicks.

The blue one has a flatter but redder comb and it looks decided in two rows.

The two others are a mix of blue/brown and ginger/copper color in their feathers. One has more of a partridge pattern to her ginger feathers and the other one looks more copper.

The first set on pictures is from last week

And this set is from two days ago.

Hope you can help. BTW, the big red combed guy in the back started with a comb much like the little blue he/she in the front. :S

Well, it still could go either way then. Every so often there's one that just doesn't follow the blueprints. I had one like that, paler comb, no obvious rooster signs. Sure enough, it was a roo. I was going back and forth with him for weeks lol.

This might have to be one I wait for either a crow or an egg on. S/he hatched as a chocolate brown chick..
barnie.gif
That's why I love EEs though. They are like a box of chocolates........... you never know what you're gonna get!
lau.gif

What is the parentage of this chick? Is it an offspring of the rooster in your avatar? It does not look rooish to me yet, but it's hard to tell since the feather pattern is so different than the usual EE roos you see here.
That's a hen in my avatar. She's a frizzled/mottled Japanese Bantam.
big_smile.png
I purchased eggs to hatch so I could bring in some new blood, so I have no idea on the parentage of this guy/girl other than it hatched from a blue egg.
hu.gif

Got these 2 picts of the ones that we were talking about t [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
I'm gonna have to say they both look like roos to me. Both really red combs for 9-10 weeks. My leghorn pullets comb isn't even that red and she's 18 weeks old...pullet combs should not the. That bright of red until POL (point of lay)

Ok I know these are super young, but I was wondering if you thought that the white spot on their heads had anything to do with sex? I know with Barred Rocks for example spots like these would be a sign of sex. Not sure if it would be the same with EEs or not? These are my first EEs. :) PS- Don't mind the little black EE or bantam chicks, I just am asking about the cuckoo looking ones.

Ok I know these are super young, but I was wondering if you thought that the white spot on their heads had anything to do with sex? I know with Barred Rocks for example spots like these would be a sign of sex. Not sure if it would be the same with EEs or not? These are my first EEs. :) PS- Don't mind the little black EE or bantam chicks, I just am asking about the cuckoo looking ones.
I know u can make sex linked barred rock crosses... And with those the white dot on the head means male. I know some people breed sex linked EE. For example ameraucana rooster over barred rock hen would make sex linked chicks. But I couldn't tell u if ur chicks are sex linked or not. Maybe someone else can come along and give u more info.

I know u can make sex linked barred rock crosses... And with those the white dot on the head means male. I know some people breed sex linked EE.

For example ameraucana rooster over barred rock hen would make sex linked chicks. But I couldn't tell u if ur chicks are sex linked or not.

Maybe someone else can come along and give u more info.
Ok thanks! I do know dad was a lav barred "ameraucana"...the hens looked like lav EEs with lots of red leakage or blue leakage and random patterns if that helps at all. :)

Ok thanks! I do know dad was a lav barred "ameraucana"...the hens looked like lav EEs with lots of red leakage or blue leakage and random patterns if that helps at all. :)

Just from my limited breeding of barred birds, the head dot means presence of the barring gene. Sex linking only works if the mom is barred and the dad is solid. Your three are all going to have some barring color, and gorgeous too at that, but won't be sex linked because the dad was barred. I love their color.

Back
Top Bottom