Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

If i have a EE hen and she breeds with a silkie roo, is there a tell tell sign on sexing them? I had 2 hatch on Easter Sunday and they both have dark skin but not black like a silkie but they do have 5 toes like a silkie. Just wondering if anyone might know or be
able to help.

Well they won't be silkie feathered. But I suspect you can check the same things. Color, comb, patterns and saddle/hackles

Most silkie crosses will have the extra toes, darker skin, a cushion comb, or feathered legs (or a combination of any of the traits). Hope this helps :)

@Zanzabeez ND The first and last both look like hens. The middle one...there's a dark patch on the wing and the stance makes me think roo at this point.

Thank you Kathryn P, That is what I have been suspecting. The middle one is just too red I think. :) Thank you for confirming my , I am keeping an eye on it because I only need the one roo. :)

Just for fun, here is my current EE roo. He is a lavender ameraucana x blue laced red wyandotte cross.

These are the silkie ee mix chicks.

Thank you Kathryn P, That is what I have been suspecting. The middle one is just too red I think. :) Thank you for confirming my , I am keeping an eye on it because I only need the one roo. :) Just for fun, here is my current EE roo. He is a lavender ameraucana x blue laced red wyandotte cross.
Wow how pretty! I wonder what he would throw with that self blue in there. Might be an interesting project to get some self blue laced red wyandottes so there's no black or splash only blue.

Back
Top Bottom