Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I would appreciate any help that I can get. I would like to know if any of my EE's are Pullet or Rooster.

This is Sister .... Pullet or Cockerel?

This is Miss V .... same question

This is Gibi again the same question
These all look like pullets to me, typical feather pattern, salmon colored breast, small combs.

is this an ee? about 7 weeks old now. the white one I know is a leghorn. any idea on black one? she has slate legs! tiny comb! have posted in a few threads and no one has given me an indication to breeds. they came from an incubator at a daycare with white, brown, and bluish/green eggs!
Black could be a black sex link, last one looks like ee.

is this an ee? about 7 weeks old now. the white one I know is a leghorn. any idea on black one? she has slate legs! tiny comb! have posted in a few threads and no one has given me an indication to breeds. they came from an incubator at a daycare with white, brown, and bluish/green eggs!
They are all barnyard mixes. The eggs donated for hatching projects are almost always from egg farmers or backyard keepers who have a rooster, not from breeders who sell chicks and hatching eggs. So, they won't be purebred anything, just a random mix of whatever breeds or mixes are in the flock. Often, they have production layers so you'll see traits of those but that doesn't make them sexlinks, for example. It will be a surprise when they lay to see what color eggs you get.

So I'm freaking out now.... I know that I already have two cockerels in my coop. So I found some EE that were supposed to be vent sexed. Now, I read on here all the time that EE are male if they have red feathers in their wings. I was just outside 1/2 hr ago and noticed one of mine are starting to grow red feathers!! She did say that I had until June 20 to return any boys, so I seriously need an opinion ... *4 weeks old*

Last edited:
I think it is a little too soon to be sure fazziobear1. The overall pattern looks female, but those red feathers are exactly where you don't want them. The comb still looks pretty pale, but it is a young chick. I think you will have to wait a couple more weeks to be sure.

Fazziobear1, are you featuring the same suspect chick repeatedly in your photos? I hope so because that pattern with the patch coming in is all boy. No need to wait for the inevitable crowing. Nothing else screaming cockerel yet but it's early.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom