Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

To lay a green egg requires both a blue egg laying gene and a brown egg gene.
These genes are independent of each other, meaning the blue egg gene has nothing to do with the brown egg laying gene.
Brown is not actually a shell color, it is an overlay. Blue is an egg shell color, and white is actually the absence of blue...if that makes since?

SO I'm not saying your EE's laid that egg...but something you have is carrying both the blue and brown egg genes, which is what most refer to as an EE.

If you have another"breed"....say An Orp for example, and she lays a green egg that means somewhere in her background is a blue egg layer.
If the bird that lays the green egg was hatched from a brown egg, then her father carried the blue egg gene.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure it was one of the EEs then so far, I will just have to wait though for confirmation when all the girls start laying.

Not asking about gender, just showing one of my 7-8 week old EE pullets and her broody mom. I'm a big fan of the blues
love.gif

Even though mom's a little brownish...

Hi everyone! I need help with my EE's! They are only 2 weeks and 3 days old right now, but I think I might have a roo......I hope I don't.
They are the only ones in the brooder right now so they are very attached to each other.
Here's Ana (yes, from Frozen)! "She" is my suspected roo. "She" is very calm and when separated from Elsa (from Frozen too) she doesn't make much of a fuss. She is very sweet, but I noticed that she stands up really straight when alarmed. When they "fight for dominance "she wins and they don't fight very long if they do (maybe for a few seconds). I've had 4 RIR roos and they would fight constantly (they are at a new home now).
What do you think?

"Her" comb is a little more orange then Elsa's.

Here is Elsa! Very flighty and loud when separated from Ana. No color on comb. She acts more like a girl. Also she has gotten her feathers much faster then Ana. Both Ana and Elsa have gotten their feathers faster then my Black sex link, Brown sex link, Australorp and Silkie did when they were that age. (faster then my RIR roos too) They have been the same weight of either my Black sex link and Brown sex link at the same age.
Both Ana and Elsa have been the same weight as each other, but the last time I weighed them Ana was like 1/8 of a ounce heavier.
So what do you think of Elsa?

She has some feathers on her legs so I'm wondering what breed/breeds are in her.
I really appreciate help on their sex.
Thanks for the help.

With that big 3-row red comb and upright stance, Ana is a definite roo.
Elsa does not have the usual characteristics of an EE. She has yellow legs and single comb. How does her comb compare to other single combs of other chicks the same age. If it is much bigger, then I might suspect a boy. However, in the picture, the comb does not appear very big. So, maybe it's a girl. I think you will have to wait for more development to guess the sex more accurately.

So I've almost accepted that this one is a boy...(heavy denial)

But I'm getting concerned about this one.

Update on Penn, who we think has that double fray (fr) gene. At 5 weeks, her feathers are coming in and she looks less of a mess now. I haven't noticed as much feather breakage either, though she's missing some primaries that broke earlier. Her comb hasn't gotten any bigger or at all pink. Kinda nobbly, but I can't see distinct rows of peas. I'm still hoping she's a girl...? Either way, she's loving her new run, even if she was a little warm at first.

So I've almost accepted that this one is a boy...(heavy denial)

But I'm getting concerned about this one.

Both of them have light combs, posture and body shape of hens. The second one is a girl. The first one is a bit iffy due to the patchy feather colors, and the black feathers on the chest look suspiciously boyish. Please post back when you know for sure.

About 9/10 weeks
At that age, I would expect their combs to be much redder and at least wider if they're boys, they also don't have that roo stance....Give them some more time and keep an eye out for pointy saddle feathers, but they really are looking like pullets, even with the darker patches on the first ones wings...In the next 3-5 weeks the saddle feathers will tell the tale regardless.

Update on Penn, who we think has that double fray (fr) gene. At 5 weeks, her feathers are coming in and she looks less of a mess now. I haven't noticed as much feather breakage either, though she's missing some primaries that broke earlier. Her comb hasn't gotten any bigger or at all pink. Kinda nobbly, but I can't see distinct rows of peas. I'm still hoping she's a girl...? Either way, she's loving her new run, even if she was a little warm at first.

A close up of the above picture shows a 3 row comb and a deep red spot coming through. I think this one is a boy.

Back
Top Bottom