Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Both really pretty birds!
I'm still learning, but I could take a guess on those two.
For her, a Welsummer or mix of, seems likely, the coloring and body shape is very similar, they will usually lay a beautiful dark brown egg,.... when she does lay, which could be a few more weeks, it may tell you. I think there is a Welsummer thread on here too, those folks might have some tips.

On the rooster, I'm seeing maybe some gold duckwing patterns, and he does seem to have a mixed comb type. Other than that.... :confused:
He's certainly pretty, I'm fond of a pale headed rooster. I've got a salmon faverolle rooster who has a similar look, I call him Calico Jack.
Thank you for the information . When the egg comes (hopefully soon) I'll be back. I just looked gold duck wing patterns. WOW you nailed it!

Last edited:
OK, everyone! I'm not so sure my EE is a EE. She's starting to look very different.
Right now I'm worried about her sex too. Do you think she's a EE? Do you think she's a she or a he?

She has some feathers on her legs too.

With the black specks showing up around the neck and tail, it almost looks like a Delaware cross. The yellow feet don't look very EE either. But I am new to chickens, it just looks like my Delaware's except for the poofy cheeks and feathery feet. Here is a picture of one of my Delaware's at the same 6 week age.

With the black specks showing up around the neck and tail, it almost looks like a Delaware cross. The yellow feet don't look very EE either. But I am new to chickens, it just looks like my Delaware's except for the poofy cheeks and feathery feet. Here is a picture of one of my Delaware's at the same 6 week age.
Wow! She does look a lot like that! Same sized comb too. I'm really worried about sex right now because she does "face off" with her "brother" (a roo that I need to get rid of).
I worried about how pink her comb is too! I don't know......I really really hope she's a pullet!

Wow! She does look a lot like that! Same sized comb too. I'm really worried about sex right now because she does "face off" with her "brother" (a roo that I need to get rid of).
I worried about how pink her comb is too! I don't know......I really really hope she's a pullet!

Yeah, all of my girls "face off" with all the other girls and boys, in fact one of my boys is lower on the totem pole than a few girls, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just keep an eye on the comb, I just took pictures today at 10 weeks old, here is what one of the Delaware pullets looks like now. (not a very impressive comb next to one of my cuckoo maran cockerels of the same age) I don't have a Delaware cockerel to compare combs to at this age.

I love my EE boy, he is way more handsome than the pictures show, he is getting a really pretty green sheen to his tail feathers. No crowing yet, I can hardly wait. I have 3 boys that are 10 weeks old and none of them have crowed yet, this EE and 2 cuckoo marans. By the way his name is Bull, because when he was a tiny he would bowl through everyone like a bull. By far has the thickest biggest head and body of all my birds.

I love my EE boy, he is way more handsome than the pictures show, he is getting a really pretty green sheen to his tail feathers. No crowing yet, I can hardly wait. I have 3 boys that are 10 weeks old and none of them have crowed yet, this EE and 2 cuckoo marans. By the way his name is Bull, because when he was a tiny he would bowl through everyone like a bull. By far has the thickest biggest head and body of all my birds.
He is amazing!

He looks a lot like my Silver EE did when he was that age. Look up " Silver Ameraucanas" and it should give you an idea of his adult plumage.

Light chick- that girl looks a lot like some crosse I got out of my silver rooster with Buff Orps. With the yellow legs? Maybe it was a buff rock. I've also seen picks of Silver Ams crossed on Buff Ams that had a very similar look.
The light muff and Beard could come from a single copy of The muff and beard gene?
I'm still thinking girl.

Trying to confirm speckles if speckles is a boy or girl.

He/She has a comb like the other roosters, and a little bit of red colouring, and she sometimes fights with her/his brothers.

Do combs like this ever turn to be pullets?

The colouring and shape seem pullet-ish?

What would a rooster with this colouring turn out to look like?

Thanks
yippiechickie.gif

Thor

Trying to confirm speckles if speckles is a boy or girl.

He/She has a comb like the other roosters, and a little bit of red colouring, and she sometimes fights with her/his brothers.

Do combs like this ever turn to be pullets?

The colouring and shape seem pullet-ish?

What would a rooster with this colouring turn out to look like?

Thanks
yippiechickie.gif

Thor

How old is speckle? The older it is, the more likely it's a girl. Right now, it's a very boyish girl. I did have a girl that had very thick legs like Speckle with very similar colors and feather pattern. The difference is Speckle has an eagle face which I see more often in boys. Anyhow, my bet is that's a girl.

Thanks for the reply,

Speckles should be 9 ish weeks old now. S-he is the one of our six that has me unsure. 2 for sure are boys, but s-he isn't quite the same as the obvious boys, other than her comb being similar.

Thor

Back
Top Bottom