Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Can Easter Egger hens have blue/green(Teal) feathers around the neck and tail feathers? I am assuming we have a late bloomer. I am not home right now to post a picture but can later today. We have 4 Easter Eggers and one is much slimmer then the others with a higher walk, more scaried of everything, as well as the teal tail feathers and teal feather around his/her neck. Oh and it is black with white on him/her. Thanks for any information.

Can Easter Egger hens have blue/green(Teal) feathers around the neck and tail feathers? I am assuming we have a late bloomer. I am not home right now to post a picture but can later today. We have 4 Easter Eggers and one is much slimmer then the others with a higher walk, more scaried of everything, as well as the teal tail feathers and teal feather around his/her neck. Oh and it is black with white on him/her. Thanks for any information.

The thing about EE is that they can have just about any color you can think of - that's the nature of mixed breed birds

Here's my challenge. Can you guess the gender?
7 1/2 weeks old
Dad- Dark brown EE with pea comb, no muffs/beard, dark slate colored legs
Mom- Huge White Hen with big single comb, white legs, & daily layer of very large pink eggs

Because we no longer have the roo, we kept a couple chicks from his last batch of fertile eggs. Now trying to decide which chicken to keep.

Here are the feathers coming in on the back between the wings.

7 1/2 weeks old
Mom- Huge White Hen with big single comb, white legs, & daily layer of very large pink eggs

Because we no longer have the roo, we kept a couple chicks from his last batch of fertile eggs. Now trying to decide which chicken to keep.

I saw those same paint brushes in picture 3 on my boys at the same age. Your chick however has very light comb. I am leaning toward roo, but hope I am wrong. Please update when you know for sure.

7 1/2 weeks old

This one has me stumped. The stance and tail feathers look like a roo, but the comb is smaller, but pretty red. I'd wait and see about 2 weeks and post again.

Does anyone know if all chickens get those starting hackle feathers between the wings or just the males?
I remember reading somewhere how to locate them by parting the feathers down the back. What I can't remember is what to look for once you find them.

Here's another pic of those feathers on my suspected male. (A Coronation Sussex with a very red comb) I've been guessing male for this one since 2 weeks old.

I know it's way early to know the sex, but has anyone had one that looked like this? She
fl.gif
is my favorite of the four chicks one of my EEs hatched. As far as I know, (I put the eggs under the hen) the broody is not the mother. The mother is an EE and the father a New Hampshire mix. Again, I now it's early.... One of the others looks like a black sex link pullet (I have a barred rock hen). The other two have EE patterns, but single combs, so I have no clue on them. Can that brown partridge pattern that the mother has come from just about any color pairing?

I know it's way early to know the sex, but has anyone had one that looked like this? She
fl.gif
is my favorite of the four chicks one of my EEs hatched. As far as I know, (I put the eggs under the hen) the broody is not the mother. The mother is an EE and the father a New Hampshire mix. Again, I now it's early.... One of the others looks like a black sex link pullet (I have a barred rock hen). The other two have EE patterns, but single combs, so I have no clue on them. Can that brown partridge pattern that the mother has come from just about any color pairing?

Color genetics is not something I know a great deal about. It takes some care to keep the intended varieties going, and a partridge pattern seems to be common when you mix varieties. Hopefully someone can give you more info. By the way, this looks like a little cockerel to me, but give it time, way too early to be sure yet.

Back
Top Bottom