Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I have a couple of Easter Eggers. This thread about color-sexing them is very intriguing to me, as I have often seen people say "I see pullet coloring" or "those colors indicate a cockerel". Until today I had no clue what colors to look for, thanks so much to all the many people who posted on this thread helping me finally understand!

This is my "maybe rooster". Though, after reading about the colors, I am not as sure. What do you think? I had thought I might just have to wait for either a crow or an egg. He/She is 7 weeks old.

I will post better pictures as soon as I can, these are what I had on hand from yesterday's photoshoot. Can't take new ones right now because it decided to rain and the camera is neither mine nor waterproof.
wink.png

Pullet

I too am having trouble with one of my easter eggers........

it is 4.5 months old

I hope it is a hen (not allowed roos) as it is my favorite colour

Most EE boys have 3 row combs, but not always. My EE boy has a single row comb which never grew out to be 3 rows even when he became a big rooster.

The colors are different in the pictures. The legs look greenish in the first but yellow (odd for an EE) in the second. Still, I'm not seeing that burgundy wing patch and I think that would be likely in a bird with that much orange in the feathers. Can't tell much from the hackle feathers since as you said, the bird is in motion. MAYBE a few saddle feathers curving out in that last picture?

I'm leaning pullet.
He/she does have yellow legs, no beard or muffs, but no wattles either, three row pea comb. It's tricky b/c it is a cross, EE with I think BLRW. As the chick gets older, I think it is favoring the BLRW side more than the EE. It carries itself like a pullet, low stance, but the comb is so prominent for the age! Here is a couple of shots, was trying to get it to be still, you can see from the side shot the laced feathers and blue bottom that makes me think BLRW cross.

I don't think these pics really clear it up much more than the prior ones now that I am looking at them, will just have to wait a few more weeks I guess!

Last edited:
Most EE boys have 3 row combs, but not always. My EE boy has a single row comb which never grew out to be 3 rows even when he became a big rooster.
Do females ever have the three ridge comb? Just going by what i read here on this thread ( i had three sexed EE's as female... but gave one away at 2-3 months because it had three ridges and dark red on wings...) and i guessed it was a boy because of the comb having 3 ridges ... sure hope i was right :)

I would love some help sexing my EE. I think the plumage qualifies as blue Wheaton?

I don't know the exact age because this chick came from a feed store, but I think Lilo was about 4wks old in this photo.

Back
Top Bottom