Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

My girls have been molting the last month. I gave some to a friend about a month ago that were in heavy molt, and she said they are laying again.

Did they recover faster than your other birds? If it was mites or lice taking them away may have helped cut down on the pests and helped them recover a bit.

I was stunned that it appeared that I had a pest problem. We try to take excellent care of our girls. But they looked bad for so very long. I wish I would have figured it out much sooner. There are lots of articles and pictures to help with identification.

I am not in any way certain that you have a problem, but it seems like you should get a few eggs, and the molt should have resolved by now. I wish someone had told me to investigate with a flash light and high powered reading glasses much sooner.

Did they recover faster than your other birds? If it was mites or lice taking them away may have helped cut down on the pests and helped them recover a bit.

I was stunned that it appeared that I had a pest problem. We try to take excellent care of our girls. But they looked bad for so very long. I wish I would have figured it out much sooner. There are lots of articles and pictures to help with identification.

I am not in any way certain that you have a problem, but it seems like you should get a few eggs, and the molt should have resolved by now. I wish someone had told me to investigate with a flash light and high powered reading glasses much sooner.

No, they did not have mites/lice. The did start molting a little sooner then my sexlinks, who are molting really late.

No, they did not have mites/lice. The did start molting a little sooner then my sexlinks, who are molting really late.
I am glad they are just having a late molt. Hopefully they fill back in before it gets cold. And back to giving you those beautiful blue eggs. We love our EE's!

I think this one is a roo. What do you think?

It turns out I'm in the right place. Faint barring has shown up so there is some other breed, possibly from a few generations back, in the mix. You can just see it on the tail feathers.

I think this one is a roo. What do you think?

It turns out I'm in the right place. Faint barring has shown up so there is some other breed, possibly from a few generations back, in the mix. You can just see it on the tail feathers.

I'm leaning toward pullet, but with the lavender coloring, it can be hard to see the cock feathers coming in.

Thanks. I'm trying to hold my nerve & keep them all for three more weeks to see the fine saddle feathers, but I thought I heard a crow yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately a crow isn't very helpful until you know who did it.

Oooo, nine weeks and already that red in the comb... It's probably a cockerel.
hmm.png
Unless it's not really as red as the pic shows. You can look under the feathers along the lower back to see if any pointy saddles are sprouting. I'd keep it until you're sure.

Back
Top Bottom