Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Okay, I'm going to try this too. Mine are only 2 1/2ish weeks old but they are starting to get their big chick feathers. Bought at TSC when they were on clearance for a mere 25 cents!

Pullets all the way. All of my gals have feathered that way. If they feather slower or get colors other than reddish, pinkish colors, they're likely boys. All of my gals are getting salmon and gold breasts.

I asked about these babies a month or so ago in another thread. The replies were all pullets. As they have grown I still believe the blue and the smaller reddish one are pullets. However the black headed one and the dark one I'm not sure about. The dark one has the pinkest comb and looks like 3 rows of peas to me. The black headed one also looks to have 3 rows of peas, though the comb is not as dark. He/she also has some rust colored patches appearing. What do you guys think?
Blue pullet

Smaller, reddish pullet

Darkest one- not sure

Black headed- not sure

So they are not all the same age? The difference between a 7 week and a 9 week old EE can be very significant when trying to sex.

Blue looks like a pullet.

Small one, I'm torn. Is it younger than the others? Could be a pullet. If breast turns dark like the bottom one, then cockerel.

Black, leaning toward pullet despite the pink comb. With the coloring, I would expect to see some red on the wings if cockerel. Would need a closer view of the comb to be sure.

Last one is a cockerel. Patchy coloring with red and a dark breast. Comb is less pink than black one, but still looks prominent.

You can see combs better in person than we can in pics. Compare to these and see what you think. Combs will vary, of course, depending on the breeds used. These were hatchery EEs.
Typical pullet comb at 8 weeks.

Typical cockerel comb at 8 weeks.

These pullets at point of lay have combs similar to the 8 week old cockerel.

I got them from a breeder a month ago and he said they were 4-5 wks. They were outside in a coop/run with older pullets, hens, and the cock who he said was the father. A blue wheaten Ameraucana. They were supposed to be Ameraucana chicks but I have learned from the forum here they are actually EEs. I believe the smaller one is the youngest and is 7 wks at most. The blue and the black headed have always been the biggest and seemed older than the other 2. I think they are closer to 9 wks.

Here's a ? :

I have an Orpington & Crested Cream Legbar mix (both parents purebred). She will likely lay greenish eggs (blue being dominant gene + the brown covering from the orp). So my question is can these be called Easter Eggers or must they have Ameraucana in the mix to get that label?

I don't think there is an official definition for EE. If you think about it, the blue shell gene that Cream Legbars carry must have originally come from the Araucana/Ameraucana types, so wouldn't that would make CLs EEs?

When I hear EE, I expect to see a non-standard Ameraucana. Missing both pea comb and beard/muffs put them in the category of barnyard cross, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think there is an official definition for EE.  If you think about it, the blue shell gene that Cream Legbars carry must have originally come from the Araucana/Ameraucana types, so wouldn't that would make CLs EEs?

When I hear EE, I expect to see a non-standard Ameraucana.  Missing both pea comb and beard/muffs put them in the category of barnyard cross, but that's just my opinion.

Cream leg are would not be considered EEs because they have been standardized and breed true. So far the definition for an EE is it needs to lay green or blue eggs.

So they are not all the same age? The difference between a 7 week and a 9 week old EE can be very significant when trying to sex. Blue looks like a pullet. Small one, I'm torn. Is it younger than the others? Could be a pullet. If breast turns dark like the bottom one, then cockerel. Black, leaning toward pullet despite the pink comb. With the coloring, I would expect to see some red on the wings if cockerel. Would need a closer view of the comb to be sure. Last one is a cockerel. Patchy coloring with red and a dark breast. Comb is less pink than black one, but still looks prominent. You can see combs better in person than we can in pics. Compare to these and see what you think. Combs will vary, of course, depending on the breeds used. These were hatchery EEs. Typical pullet comb at 8 weeks. Typical cockerel comb at 8 weeks. These pullets at point of lay have combs similar to the 8 week old cockerel.
Nice colored EEs

Back
Top Bottom