Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

At  that age, those are definitely pullets. They should start laying soon.

Yay! :weee
I was hoping they were girls. Especially at the age they are at. Looking forward to eggs soon. My three older girls started molting awhile back so I haven't had any eggs :(
EEs are super hard to figure out whether they're boys or girls for sure. Now we wait to see if they lay colored eggs.

At 22 weeks there would be serious saddle feather growth. I don't see a saddle feather or hackle or sickle feather anywhere so I think you're good to go on them being pullets.

That's what I was figuring too. My first batch of chickens were all Buff Orpingtons and I had a boy in the group. We were pretty sure at five weeks but by 22 weeks he was definitely ALL boy.
I got six chicks in this batch, 2 barred rocks, 2 speckled sussex and 2 Easter eggers. I think I really lucked out and got all girls this time! They're all doing great and I'm looking forward to them to start laying :)

Here are my two EEs now at 22 weeks. I had posted when they were younger and there was talk that they both might be boys
sad.png

I'm hoping now at this age they are not boys. They both look like they have pointy neck feathers because of the darker feathers but if you lift the feathers they have rounded brown feathers surrounding the darker points.
I realize the pics with the darkest EE aren't great. I can get some better ones after work if needed. Most of the pics have the grey/light brown feathered EE with the other one in the background of some.

Thanks in advance!

BEAUTIFUL bird! Interesting lavender (I think) tail. As others posted, if she were a he, there would be a LOT of "boy feathers" and crowing by 22 weeks. You happened to get some of the "3 row comb is NOT always a boy" chicks! And yep, the coloring on the neck feathers sure does make them LOOK like they are pointed even though they are not.

So, the general consensus of an earlier BYC post was that my Piper is a boy and not the girl she was supposed to be. Here are more recent pictures - still no crowing - what says the group? S/he is approximately 14 week old now . . .

Thanks for the feedback.

So, the general consensus of an earlier BYC post was that my Piper is a boy and not the girl she was supposed to be. Here are more recent pictures - still no crowing - what says the group? S/he is approximately 14 week old now . . .

Thanks for the feedback.
Definitely male. His big boy feathers are just starting to come in.

Back
Top Bottom