Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Gender guess?

Would love some confirmation that my EE girls really are pullets. Both just a couple days shy of 5 weeks.

5 weeks is a bit too young to be sure, unless there is are obvious cockerel signs, which I don't see. It also help to have a full side view to see the color pattern. Update pics in a couple of weeks and we'll see.

Been stalking this thread for a while. So appreciative of all the pictures and advice from all the experts. As for my question: Farty Marty or Batty Betty???? 7 week old EE. Specifically chosen (out of 5 other sexed EE pullets from hatchery) because he had an even coloring and no "red/orange" on wings as a chick, two of the others had red on shoulders... but I'm guessing now that chick coloring doesn't matter. **(Im sure some of you might not want to read my ramblings... in that case just scroll down and see the pics of my suspected roo) I have had my suspicions from the very beginning. From day two, this chick was different from the rest of the ten I had. It would alarm-peep EVERY time I handled it, even at a few days old. All the others would snuggle and sleep or contentedly explore around me... but not Farty Marty (or Batty Betty?). This chick is a chicken, pun intended. Now at almost 7 weeks, while all it's flock mates fight over space on my shoulder or lap, this dude (dudette?) will sit in the far corner and give me the stink eye. Not even a fist full of mealworms will make this stinker warm up to me (even waiting still as a statue... he will take one half step toward me, eye my evil hand and turn tail and run). Jumpy, aloof and flighty, this guy (gal) freaks at every movement, sound and flutter and runs away. What I am seeing: -uneven blotches of color on shoulders and back (although he is only black and white no red/orange) -larger/redder comb -stocky legs Tell me I am right that this is a roo so I can stop second guessing myself (buuuut they said red on the shoulders = roo.... so this must be a pullet....?) the last pic is for color comparison of combs as I know cameras can throw off the color (also, this is the signature look I get from him (her?) most of the time) As I said, he is a booger to get a good pic of. I have more if needed. Thank you for your help and patience with all of us newbies.
He/She looks a lot like my mystery-gendered EE! I was so excited about the colored eggs, but I think she's a he!

Back
Top Bottom