Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

LOL Normally I am always hopeful for pullets, BUT I have one GIANT roo who is a sweet thing and for the bigger ladies a good mate. We got him because we figured if we had to cull excess Roo's we might as well breed them to be big for eating. However, I have enough space(a few medium sized hen's including EE's) for another Roo, and thought this one has a good personality and isn't going to be big. Plus when I thought it was a "roo" I was impressed with how well our current Roo was tolerating "it".. Now I know! Our big roo tolerates it so well because it is a future member of his harem! LOL

I bought 40 Pullets from a Hatchery 6 weeks ago and several have turned out Cockerels. I re-homed 4 so far and found another one crowing this morning. I need help sexing another 6 week old Easter Egger Pullet that hasn't crowed, but suspect might also be another Cockerel. 1-2-3 pictures are of Pullet and 4th picture is Pullet on the left Cockerel on the right. I see red feathers coming out on wing, back and shoulders, chest hasn't turn dark yet, also comb isn't as pronounced as the Cockerel. Any help would be appreciated. I'm at my limit of Roosters and don't need anymore crowing...........
D.gif

I bought 40 Pullets from a Hatchery 6 weeks ago and several have turned out Cockerels. I re-homed 4 so far and found another one crowing this morning. I need help sexing another 6 week old Easter Egger Pullet that hasn't crowed, but suspect might also be another Cockerel. 1-2-3 pictures are of Pullet and 4th picture is Pullet on the left Cockerel on the right. I see red feathers coming out on wing, back and shoulders, chest hasn't turn dark yet, also comb isn't as pronounced as the Cockerel. Any help would be appreciated. I'm at my limit of Roosters and don't need anymore crowing...........
D.gif

Cockerel. And due to the mixed up pattern genetics that Easter Eggers can have, males don't always develop solid black chests.

Thank you......That's what I'm think too. I always go by this quot "If they're Flashy Cockerel if they're Drab Pullet". I was really hoping I would get more Pullets. This shipment of 40 pullets came with 1 DOA and 1 had twisted beak and died 2 weeks latter, so put my odds lower. Remaining 38 so far have 6 Cockerels 32 Pullets. I think the sexing guru was on vacation that week.
th.gif

Last edited:
I bought 40 Pullets from a Hatchery 6 weeks ago and several have turned out Cockerels. I re-homed 4 so far and found another one crowing this morning. I need help sexing another 6 week old Easter Egger Pullet that hasn't crowed, but suspect might also be another Cockerel. 1-2-3 pictures are of Pullet and 4th picture is Pullet on the left Cockerel on the right. I see red feathers coming out on wing, back and shoulders, chest hasn't turn dark yet, also comb isn't as pronounced as the Cockerel. Any help would be appreciated. I'm at my limit of Roosters and don't need anymore crowing........... :cd
I know what you mean about too much crowing! City chickens. Have child's sock around the neck of EE roo who sleeps in a box in the house so as not to disturb the neighbor's. He is learning the word "quiet"! But then...from outside comes a middle of the night crow! It turns out to be my nearly 8 yr. old EE hen "Honey"! Yes. It's true...she used to lay pretty blue eggs.

It was Ideal Poultry out of Texas! I could see if they sent extras for heating and they were Cockerels, but no extras.

My initial 12 in 2012 came from Ideal. I was much luckier than you, they hit 100%. So did Meyer last year. I know my "time" is coming, can't always get so lucky. Then I have a problem. DD1 won't eat an egg that COULD have become a chicken so no roosters here. And she wouldn't deal well with those of us in the family that are not vegetarian eating it nor giving it to someone that would.

I have some six week old babies. Two are colored and patterned to suggest they are boys, but their combs are completely yellow. Another one has a very pink comb, and has always been an obvious boy. What age would you accept the comb as the definitive sign?

I figured I'd post some pics so you can see what I'm talking about.
Ava on the left, Fabio (obvious cockerel) on the right.

Ava...

Sophia (obvious pullet), Fabio, Scarlet...

Sophia (pullet)...

Scarlet...

Back
Top Bottom