Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I think the top one is a pullet, and the bottom one is probably a cockerel, though it's too early to tell for sure.
Would you guys mind giving me your opinions on these two? The top light one is 6 weeks old and giant, it did initially seem to have 3 rows to its comb but maybe not? Pretty big personality but I'm not seeing any coloring to indicate a cockerel? The bottom one is 5 weeks old and a jerk. His (?) shoulders aren't totally feathered so perhaps they will come in red? If there is anything on either that screams pullet or cockrel will you share what it is? My colored layers seem to be all turning into cockerels or have died so I'm going to be trying again on blue layers. I've read tons of posts but it's still not "obvious" to me how to tell without a bright red comb. Thanks a bunch!

I think the top one is a pullet, and the bottom one is probably a cockerel, though it's too early to tell for sure.
Would you guys mind giving me your opinions on these two? The top light one is 6 weeks old and giant, it did initially seem to have 3 rows to its comb but maybe not? Pretty big personality but I'm not seeing any coloring to indicate a cockerel? The bottom one is 5 weeks old and a jerk. His (?) shoulders aren't totally feathered so perhaps they will come in red? If there is anything on either that screams pullet or cockrel will you share what it is? My colored layers seem to be all turning into cockerels or have died so I'm going to be trying again on blue layers. I've read tons of posts but it's still not "obvious" to me how to tell without a bright red comb. Thanks a bunch!
X2!

Gender guesses for these two? Both 5ish weeks.

This one is starting to get a copper color coming through on the tips of his/her feathers and chest.

This one almost has a rainbow sheen on his/her feathers.

Last edited:
The pink three row comb, the stocky legs, and the patchy coloring are the three things that have me leaning toward cockerel. It is still a bit early to tell for sure though.

Thank you! I've never owned chickens before, so I'm trying to figure out what to look for. The patchy coloring is because he/she is covered in pick-no-more. This one keeps getting feathers plucked. It's mainly white with tan tips on the ends of its feathers. I appreciate the reply!

Gender guesses for these two? Both 5ish weeks.

This one is starting to get a copper color coming through on the tips of his/her feathers and chest.

This one almost has a rainbow sheen on his/her feathers.
The first one is a pullet. I'm not 100% sure about the bottom one, that pink comb has me a little bit suspicious, but it's still too early to be sure.

They can have any comb type. Often a single comb means no blue shell gene but not always.

Oh, that's interesting. The first one pictured, who I've suspected to be a pullet has a pea comb, but it's not red or big. Hopefully she will lay beautiful blue eggs!

Back
Top Bottom