Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Would you guys mind giving me your opinions on these two? The top light one is 6 weeks old and giant, it did initially seem to have 3 rows to its comb but maybe not? Pretty big personality but I'm not seeing any coloring to indicate a cockerel? The bottom one is 5 weeks old and a jerk. His (?) shoulders aren't totally feathered so perhaps they will come in red? If there is anything on either that screams pullet or cockrel will you share what it is? My colored layers seem to be all turning into cockerels or have died so I'm going to be trying again on blue layers. I've read tons of posts but it's still not "obvious" to me how to tell without a bright red comb. Thanks a bunch!

Does puffed out neck feathers (like a lion mane) when they are tussling with other chickens confirm cockerel? The one on the bottom is wound up tonight and has gotten into it with my BLRW and my olive egger of the same age and it looked like he/ she had a mane, unfortunately so did my BLRW which I like.

Last edited:
[quote name="meganne79"

Does puffed out neck feathers (like a lion mane) when they are tussling with other chickens confirm cockerel? The one on the bottom is wound up tonight and has gotten into it with my BLRW and my olive egger of the same age and it looked like he/ she had a mane, unfortunately so did my BLRW which I like.[/quote]
Both roos and pullets can do the 'mane' thing. But I would keep an eye on the EE...Looking a little rooish.

Quote: . Around this age they are forming a pecking order and both the pullets and cockerels will be sparing a lot. It's very common for them to raise their neck feathers like that while sparing. It's not an indication of gender.

Is my chick an Easter Egger? Not sure what breed. Please advise. Was supposed to be a White Leghorn, but he/she has green legs and feet. Our other WL chicks have pecked and bullied him/her. Not sure of age or sex either.

Is my chick an Easter Egger? Not sure what breed. Please advise. Was supposed to be a White Leghorn, but he/she has green legs and feet. Our other WL chicks have pecked and bullied him/her. Not sure of age or sex either.

Hard to say. Green legs don't automatically mean it's an EE. Especially since it's lacking the other typical features (bearding, pea comb). But, you just never know.

ETA: I'm thinking it's one of the dozens of hybrid layers but that's just a guess.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom