Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I agree with W4W, that comb and that uneven feather pattern suggest a cockerel. I suspect you'll soon be seeing the mahogany "rooster red" patches on the upper part of the wings.

I'm sorry if a cockerel doesn't work for you :(

Thoughts? 7.5 weeks, maybe 8. Comb is not red at all, but the dangly feathers by the tail have me worried. They don't look pointy to me though, so maybe this is a weird developmental stage? :fl

View attachment 2601353View attachment 2601355
This is a cockerel. That black patch on the neck, the comb isn't red but is is very developed for age, and I swear there is a hint of pointy feathers emerging already.
Screenshot_20210411-070826_Chrome.jpg

I got these four chicks at TS easter egger straight run bin knowing I may get cockerels and pullets. Ive been going through this thread page by page and made it all the way to 230 before deciding to post this to see if I can get a little help. They're now around 3 weeks in age. I was wondering if I need to wait a little longer to get an idea of what I have.

Chick #1
20210412_171640.jpg
20210412_171630.jpg

Chick #2
20210412_171331.jpg
20210412_171317.jpg

Chick #3
20210412_170847.jpg
20210412_170820.jpg

Chick #4
20210412_170701.jpg
20210412_170647.jpg

I also noticed they look like they have single combs and chick#2's comb is fairly bigger than the others, but if they are female does that mean I will get only brown eggs (because of the single comb)

I got these four chicks at TS easter egger straight run bin knowing I may get cockerels and pullets. Ive been going through this thread page by page and made it all the way to 230 before deciding to post this to see if I can get a little help. They're now around 3 weeks in age. I was wondering if I need to wait a little longer to get an idea of what I have.

Chick #1View attachment 2614201View attachment 2614203
Chick #2
View attachment 2614205View attachment 2614207
Chick #3
View attachment 2614213View attachment 2614217

Chick #4View attachment 2614219View attachment 2614224

I also noticed they look like they have single combs and chick#2's comb is fairly bigger than the others, but if they are female does that mean I will get only brown eggs (because of the single comb)
From what I have read, TSC is notorious for mislabeled chicks, and I think you have shown us more evidence of that.

The first chick is your only EE. Green legs and a pea comb (I think, not 100% clear on that). So far it looks like a pullet. You will know for sure in a few weeks. Post again any time, especially if you see dramatic changes.

I don't know what the other 3 are, but I suspect 3 different breeds. None of them are screaming cockerel to me and single comb size can vary quite a bit by breed, so it's really hard to tell. Watch for males to start getting pink and look for early developing wattles.

There are some very experienced people who can help identify the breeds and sex. I suggest starting your own thread in the Breed/Gender forum and see what they have to say.

Hope you aren't too disappointed with only one EE. I think your chances are good of getting a green egg this fall. :)

From what I have read, TSC is notorious for mislabeled chicks, and I think you have shown us more evidence of that.

The first chick is your only EE. Green legs and a pea comb (I think, not 100% clear on that). So far it looks like a pullet. You will know for sure in a few weeks. Post again any time, especially if you see dramatic changes.

I don't know what the other 3 are, but I suspect 3 different breeds. None of them are screaming cockerel to me and single comb size can vary quite a bit by breed, so it's really hard to tell. Watch for males to start getting pink and look for early developing wattles.

There are some very experienced people who can help identify the breeds and sex. I suggest starting your own thread in the Breed/Gender forum and see what they have to say.

Hope you aren't too disappointed with only one EE. I think your chances are good of getting a green egg this fall. :)

Though it would be nice to get more than one colored egg, I'm not disappointed at all. Especially knowing TSC's chick reputation, so I already went in there expecting something to be wrong. Even though they aren't necessarily what I wanted, they'll still get all the love and caring for that any animal should. Needless to say I guess we will wait and see what happens!

Back
Top Bottom