Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

And... Macaroni crowed his little face off this morning at 7 and 1/2 weeks old.
smile.png
He's going to be quite the looker with the black face, green and gold hackles, and red and black laced feathers. He is a sweety too. Very calm. hops up on my knee and sits with me, and doesn't run away when I try to handle him. What do you suppose his parentage is?

Last edited:
My all-white EE STILL hasn't crowed yet and he's umm.. 16 weeks? I have to check. Definitely a boy tho, saddle feathers and all. Will put up a pic later if I can, but they are all on predator lockdown at the moment. I like late bloomer roosters, I think they end up being nicer.

My all-white EE STILL hasn't crowed yet and he's umm.. 16 weeks? I have to check. Definitely a boy tho, saddle feathers and all. Will put up a pic later if I can, but they are all on predator lockdown at the moment.  I like late bloomer roosters, I think they end up being nicer. 

My roosters have never crowed before 6 months.. Is that weird? lol

This is one of our eggers. Her name is Sweetheart, because, well, she is. lol. She is 5 weeks old, almost 6. And of the 4 Eggers we have, she is the only one to start turning pink/red. From reading the info in this thread, judging by the pattern, she's still a 'she'. Also, she only has the single row on her comb. Are we correct?

Last edited:
I can't say she is a "she" because I am still learning the differences myself. but from your pic that looks like a pea comb not a single comb. I have 1 EE and got it on May 2nd and was told she was about 6 or 7 days old at that time so ours are about the same age.

Is this a pullet?
It's not a bantam, is it?
What age could it be?

The other chick is an eight week old gold sex link.

Is this a pullet?
It's not a bantam, is it?
What age could it be?

The other chick is an eight week old gold sex link.
I'm only guessing-still learning myself, but not a bantam since it's the same size as your sex link, and if I'm understanding the info correctly, pointed neck(hackle) feathers and the upright tail means a roo.

I'm only guessing-still learning myself, but not a bantam since it's the same size as your sex link, and if I'm understanding the info correctly, pointed neck(hackle) feathers and the upright tail means a roo.
The sex link is older though. Does that make a difference?

Oh, please not a roo!!!! It is scared stiff while I was taking the picture. Maybe that was it?

I think the hackles just look pointy because of the pattern. A good way to determine if they really are pointy is to take a piece of white paper and hold it behind some of the hackles. You'll be able to see if they're pointed or round. Also, upright tails don't always mean male. All of my Black Australorp chicks (pullets) hold their tails upright like that. Come to think of it, all 3 of my Easter Eggers did that too.

However, that bird has a very common pullet coloring. I say pullet.

Back
Top Bottom