Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

ep.gif
WOW!
That first bird is gorgeous!

Mine? Thanks!

I was going to try and place all of these in new homes, but since my breeding roos are getting older, I'm thinking about keeping a couple of these guys in a bachelor pen to later be replacements for my old guys. I really want to see how the top one feathers out, but I still have plenty to give away.

I have another picture of the almost solid black one if it will help.

Thanks for the help Draye!

If I am correct, I ended up with a ton of roos from this years hatch, so if you guys don't mind, I would like some help confirming that these guy are all roos.

These are definite roos yes?
Cockerel
Cockerel

Mostly likely roos?
Cockerel
Pullet (and a stunningly gorgeous one!!)
Probable pullet. Is it the same as the above?

I thought these were hens, but now that the tails are coming in, they look roo-ish:
Pullet
Cockerel
Pullet

What says you experts??

Quote:
The first 3 and the one under the solid black are all cockerels. The rest look like pullets. :)

Last edited:
TexasChick09, you have some beautiful chickens! Agree absolutely with Lothiriel, especially about the "stunningly gorgeous" pullet. She's lovely.

At this age, the comb size/color are better indicators than tail feathers.

The first 3 and the one under the solid black are all cockerels. The rest look like pullets. :)
Thank you so much, you just made my day. And yes, those 2 photos are of the same bird, I wanted to show the back really well since I wasn't sure about the sex of that one. Thank you for the complement as well. I have another very similar to her but without as much of the brownish shading.

TexasChick09, you have some beautiful chickens! Agree absolutely with Lothiriel, especially about the "stunningly gorgeous" pullet. She's lovely.

At this age, the comb size/color are better indicators than tail feathers.

Thank you very much!! I had been trying to go by the comb, but then the black one started growing those curved tail feathers and I was all confused because they looked like a roo tail. I have another black ee too and I think her tail is starting to grow in some curved feathers as well. I may have to look into the curved tail and see what I've got going on there. I also have a SLWXee that is a pretty attractive bird, but I can't find her picture on computer atm. She is definitely a pullet though and has a light silver beard.

TexasChick09, what did your pretty white/black/red pullet look like when younger? Experts, is there any hope for this guy? 5 weeks old.

Red is leaking in all over. New shoulder feathers are looking white.

TexasChick09, what did your pretty white/black/red pullet look like when younger? Experts, is there any hope for this guy? 5 weeks old.

Red is leaking in all over. New shoulder feathers are looking white.

She looked like this- front row, 3rd chick from left, next to the mottled cochin and white ee) Actually, all of the juveniles I posted photos of are in this photo as babies. My sweet broody there took some bantam chicks on as well as the EEs she hatched herself. I lost 2 of the Sebrights and the Barred Rock bantam from this group. The Sebrights weren't well to begin with, which is why I picked them up, and the Barrred Rock passed away when it was older. It just fell out one day.

Are you sure your guy is a roo?

She looked like this- front row, 3rd chick from left, next to the mottled cochin and white ee) Actually, all of the juveniles I posted photos of are in this photo as babies. My sweet broody there took some bantam chicks on as well as the EEs she hatched herself. I lost 2 of the Sebrights and the Barred Rock bantam from this group. The Sebrights weren't well to begin with, which is why I picked them up, and the Barrred Rock passed away when it was older. It just fell out one day.

Are you sure your guy is a roo?
Mine was a very pale chipmunk, like yours. I just figured with all the red coming in, it must be a "He". Seeing yours gave me a little hope
smile.png
Did yours look anything like mine at 5 weeks?

Mine was a very pale chipmunk, like yours. I just figured with all the red coming in, it must be a "He". Seeing yours gave me a little hope
smile.png
Did yours look anything like mine at 5 weeks?

I think she had a tad less color, but other than that looked very much like yours. I think that's why I had pegged her as a roo from early on..lol. Let me go through my pics and I will see if I have some other younger photos of her. To me, your little one has a feminine face, but that's not exactly accurate in the world of chickens.

SOOOO sorry!! I haven't posted forever! I didn't have my camera for a while and finally got it back. I have never done pictures before so I don't know if this will work...

Gah! I can't get it small! Any way, that is Midge's face. This a body shot...

Sorry for the size! Thanks for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom