Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Apologizing now for how terrible and far away these pictures are. Our camera is missing - I had to take these with my phone - and the chickens weren't cooperating. Anyway, I have 3 chicks who are 8 weeks old. The blue/gray is a Maran - definitely pullet. The golden/brownish/reddish is a Maran/EE - definitely pullet. The one with the pretty tail is a Maran/EE - not sure. If we go by "feather sexing" which we all know is not 100%, especially in a mixed bird, this is a girl. But (S)he is giving me mixed signals. No crowing. Opinions please!

"Amelia" the questionable one - at 8 weeks.

A profile shot. . . . usually (s)he holds her tail upright more deliberately.

All three together (with their Foster Mom - Lucy, the Salmon Faverolle). Included so you can see Donna (the blue Maran) has a more pronounced comb. All have the same father. Amelia on the left, Donna in the middle, and Rose is on the right.

I'm really confused!

This is my last hope for a boy. I was sure it was a boy, but posted a pic elsewhere and was told he may be a she. What do you all think? 11 weeks old
I agree that you have a pullet. Hope you get a cockerel soon, though. :)

Quote: I agree with all of the above, except I'd say that last one is most likely a cockerel. Nice, deep red in his shoulders.

Apologizing now for how terrible and far away these pictures are. Our camera is missing - I had to take these with my phone - and the chickens weren't cooperating. Anyway, I have 3 chicks who are 8 weeks old. The blue/gray is a Maran - definitely pullet. The golden/brownish/reddish is a Maran/EE - definitely pullet. The one with the pretty tail is a Maran/EE - not sure. If we go by "feather sexing" which we all know is not 100%, especially in a mixed bird, this is a girl. But (S)he is giving me mixed signals. No crowing. Opinions please!

"Amelia" the questionable one - at 8 weeks.

A profile shot. . . . usually (s)he holds her tail upright more deliberately.

All three together (with their Foster Mom - Lucy, the Salmon Faverolle). Included so you can see Donna (the blue Maran) has a more pronounced comb. All have the same father. Amelia on the left, Donna in the middle, and Rose is on the right.

I'm really confused!
I'm thinking Amelia is a cockerel. I'm seeing some darker red on his shoulders -- just a little bit darker than the rest of his feathering.

I agree with all of the above, except I'd say that last one is most likely a cockerel. Nice, deep red in his shoulders.

I'm thinking Amelia is a cockerel. I'm seeing some darker red on his shoulders -- just a little bit darker than the rest of his feathering.
I agree with Lothiriel.

Also, Amelia's comb is much larger and brighter than the other Maran/EE pullet (Rose).

Thank you for the opinions posted about my pics. I'm glad you think I have 3 girls, that is what i thought, although out of 12 birds thats not what I was hoping for.

I LOVE this thread! My eyes are crossing tho with all the beautiful pictures and information on EE chickens. I had started one similar and then didn't get on here for awhile. Our feed store gets in really nice chicks, very rarely will roo's be sold, and they had an amazing looking crop of EE chicks, but I already had so many!

These are the two I kept to keep the numbers down. Peachy and Prissy. Everyone has such beautiful birds!

Here is a different view of "Amelia" (or Rory if it turns out to be a boy) with Amelia on the left and Rose on the right. I don't see dark red - I do see black. If these are "boy" markings, please help me understand how they are different from "girl." Really - I'm finding it all very confusing!
idunno.gif
Right now, Rose is very plain compared to my other EE hens, so she isn't a good example.

I'm fairly new at this, too, but if you look at Amilia's comb, you will see it is already large and reddish. That is one of the signals that you have a roo at this age. Females usually stay small and fleshy color until they are months old. (I have pullets that are 14 weeks old that still have small flesh colored combs) I can't say about the coloring. If you look at the first few pages of this link, I think they go into male/female typical coloring.

If I am correct, I ended up with a ton of roos from this years hatch, so if you guys don't mind, I would like some help confirming that these guy are all roos.

These are definite roos yes?

Mostly likely roos?

I thought these were hens, but now that the tails are coming in, they look roo-ish:

What says you experts??

Last three pictures: Top Picture not really sure ( I'm thinking girl, no red comb yet), watch. 2nd boy, and third one is a girl.
As far as the others go I think you may be correct.

Back
Top Bottom