Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Thanks. I was afraid of that. As soon as they crow, they go. Goldie is still mothering them tenderly so they get to grow a bit more and I get to become more attached.

Black and white ones are the hardest for me to sex.

I am so glad to see this rather lengthy thread, but I must confess looking at all of these pictures is making my head swim. Once I think I know the difference between a roo & a hen, it all sort of falls away. So I hope you all might be able to help me confirm my suspicions. I have 4 chickens about 12 weeks old. 2 are EEs. I feel fairly certain that one is a rooster. The other I'm not so sure, but I'm leaning toward roo territory. Of course, these being my first chickens, I could be completely wrong.

Here's Winnie Cooper. 12 week old EE. That I suspect is a roo.

Body shot of Winnie:

This is Bunny. Also 12 weeks old. Maybe a roo?

Another body shot of Bunny. Sorry no head shots.

Thanks very much! I hope these photos are good enough. I can take more if need be.
Gabe

I see all pullets here...............no roo's, will wait for an expert but I think u r safe......... unless ypou want a roo, Id try Craig s list or I have 2 beautiful little boys 11 weeks if you need 1....

Chipmunk was diagnosed as a probable roo at 3/12 weeks.  Now he is 7 weeks old.  Still a Roo?  His mama was an EE and his daddy was a cochin.  This photo makes his comb look more red than it does in real life.

And here is his hatchmate Speckles, with broody mom Goldie.

Two roos?  I've been thinking that but the source of the eggs saw them yesterday and thought they looked girly.  They were the only two chicks that hatched and they don't fight like roosters. Thinking pink and thinking it hard.  Or wishing pink. . .

1st 1 is a pullet I'm almost sure, second one looks to be a wooster.........

I am so glad to see this rather lengthy thread, but I must confess looking at all of these pictures is making my head swim. Once I think I know the difference between a roo & a hen, it all sort of falls away. So I hope you all might be able to help me confirm my suspicions. I have 4 chickens about 12 weeks old. 2 are EEs. I feel fairly certain that one is a rooster. The other I'm not so sure, but I'm leaning toward roo territory. Of course, these being my first chickens, I could be completely wrong.

Here's Winnie Cooper. 12 week old EE. That I suspect is a roo.

Body shot of Winnie:

This is Bunny. Also 12 weeks old. Maybe a roo?

Another body shot of Bunny. Sorry no head shots.

Thanks very much! I hope these photos are good enough. I can take more if need be.
Gabe

Both are 100% pullets. :)

This is very helpful!!!!! However, as a newbie I started reading and now am wondering about one of our chickens, Stella- the EE. Pullet or Cockerel? She is one of our favorites!

THANK YOU For your help! :) :)

That's a pullet. She doesn't have the deep red on her shoulders and has a pullet coloring. She looks a lot like my pullet Echo, only with more brown. :) She's gorgeous!

The Golden Laced Wyandotte behind her though is a cockerel, in case you didn't already know.

Last edited:
Thank you! Yes, we know "Mike" is a roo :) Thank you for letting me know though! I am paranoid-- don't want to give up any of my babies since we are not allowed to have any roos.

I appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom