Easter egger tongue in throat.

Still_Steven

Chirping
May 4, 2022
Colorado
Hello. I have a 5 week old Easter Egger pullet with a hook beak.
She developed a slight swelling under her beak 2 days ago. Yesterday it grew significantly and her right nostril got inflamed. Upon inspection we saw that she had no tongue!

My wife pushed on the lump on her chin/throat and her tongue popped back up into her mouth and immediately went back into her throat. My wife managed to get her tongue to stay in place long enough for her to eat.

Today her nostril is no longer inflamed. I was able to get amoxicillin to give her. When I opened her mouth to give her the meds I noticed a lot of mucus. I was able to administer the meds.

She is drinking water, but can't get much food in. She's active and chirping like crazy (she is isolated). Flockmates show no illness.

A've searched and searched and have found nothing similar. Any ideas on what this could be?

Thank you so much?

Attachments

• PXL_20220821_183953001.jpg
    PXL_20220821_183953001.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20220821_014436273.jpg
    PXL_20220821_014436273.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20220821_014411478.jpg
    PXL_20220821_014411478.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 22
I have no experience with this tongue issue but if the tongue can be pushed up and it makes the throat smaller, I'm wondering if there a bit of that stretchy bandage type tape could be used to help hold the tongue in place for a few days in the hopes that the muscles and whatever else firm up? Sort of like a higher up the neck version of a crop bra? Again I have never dealt with something like this so my idea there could be more of a hazard than just pushing the tongue up frequently...I don't know.

I've searched everywhere and couldn't find anything similar to what we are experiencing. Thank you very much for showing this to me!
No problem, once I read your post, I knew I had seen something on here similar. I spend too much time on this site. What can I say, I want all the chickens to live long happy healthy lives, they deserve it. Looks like the OP of that thread updated and surgical intervention is required :hmm hope your baby gets better.

Hello. I have a 5 week old Easter Egger pullet with a hook beak.
She developed a slight swelling under her beak 2 days ago. Yesterday it grew significantly and her right nostril got inflamed. Upon inspection we saw that she had no tongue!

My wife pushed on the lump on her chin/throat and her tongue popped back up into her mouth and immediately went back into her throat. My wife managed to get her tongue to stay in place long enough for her to eat.

Today her nostril is no longer inflamed. I was able to get amoxicillin to give her. When I opened her mouth to give her the meds I noticed a lot of mucus. I was able to administer the meds.

She is drinking water, but can't get much food in. She's active and chirping like crazy (she is isolated). Flockmates show no illness.

A've searched and searched and have found nothing similar. Any ideas on what this could be?

Thank you so much?
We have the same thing going on with our 5 week old pullet. Can you tell me what happened with yours? We cannot find help anywhere. We do not have mucus, just the alien type tongue located under the lower beak. Any help appreciated.

We have the same thing going on with our 5 week old pullet. Can you tell me what happened with yours? We cannot find help anywhere. We do not have mucus, just the alien type tongue located under the lower beak. Any help appreciated.
Can you post some pictures in the am? Is there any possibility of a hair or piece of string getting around the tongue, and the chick swallowing it?

Can you post some pictures in the am? Is there any possibility of a hair or piece of string getting around the tongue, and the chick swallowing it?
We have looked, cannot see anything in there. She actually pushed the skin out and scoops some food into the top beak. We are slowly trying to decrease the beak but if she doesn’t get the use of her tongue back I don’t know if she will make it. I have been very upset. She was fine and then we noticed this.

Attachments

• 487D50EA-5517-4EA1-87B4-D7F49C5E94E6.jpeg
    487D50EA-5517-4EA1-87B4-D7F49C5E94E6.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom