Easter Egger vs. Ameraucanas and Araucanas

jiggykgcltcs

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 22, 2010
I have a question that I hope someone can answer. On several hatchery websites, the easter egger breed is advertised as being Araucanas and Ameraucanas and says that they are the same thing, but on other sites they say that easter eggers are different from Araucanas and Ameraucanas. On my pet chicken it says, "Most hatcheries mistakenly label their Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas or Araucanas (or various misspellings thereof).True Ameraucanas and Araucanas are currently only available through breeders." But then on Randall Burkey it says,"Ameraucanas are a very popular breed because of the beautiful blue or green tinted eggs they lay which have contributed to their nickname as the Easter Egg Chicken." Which one is right? And if they are different, whats the difference?

Last edited:
Quote:
My pet chickens is. The EE has Americana in the but also every other breed in the world. The Ameracaunas are pure with different colors ajust like the aracaunas. EE are mixed with ameracaunas, Rhode Island reds, whites and every otehr breed i the world.

# Index » Breeds, Genetics, & Showing » Differences EE, Ameraucana, & Araucana
1. "Easter Egg Layers or Rainbow Layers"...are by far the most common "blue egg layer" sold by most commercial hatcheries, local feed mills, farm supply stores and backyard breeders. This type of chicken is commonly referred to as an "Araucana" or "Americana/Araucana" but the fact is these chickens are neither a purebred Araucana or an Ameraucana but they are a mixed-breed/mongrel variety. Some hatcheries are starting to refer to them as "Easter Egg Layers" or "Rainbow Layers" but many people and hatcheries still erroneously call them "Americanas" (often seen mis-spelling of Ameraucana) or "Araucanas".
Easter Egg Layers typically lay an olive or khaki green egg or a pale beige egg sometimes referred to as "pink", but many lay pastel blue or green eggs as well, but this does not mean they are an Ameraucana. Although they come in countless different colors and patterns they often resemble Ameraucanas with similar feather color and patterns. Some, but not all Easter Egg Layers sport muffs and/or beards but there is usually no consistency in type or coloring since they are a mixed breed and do not breed true to type. They often have a variety of comb styles and wattles. They may also have yellow beaks and yellow or "willow" (greenish-yellow) shanks and feet and this along with the light to dark green egg shell color may indicate they carry a brown egg breed genetics. These chickens are very popular and make nice backyard layers but they definitely are not an A.P.A. recognized breed nor do they breed true.​

Last edited:
thanks alot, i was also wondering what the difference between Ameraucanas and Araucanas was if anybody could answer that.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom