Easter Egger? Whiting True Blue? Other?

PBB only has pea comb - it links with the blue egg laying gene. Single comb = not a PBB. Also, I think rose comb = not a PBB. For my PBBs, you can kinda see the leghorn tail shape sometimes, some of my PBBs have the leghorn tail, some don't.
I want to say she's a pea comb. Definitely not a single comb. Her tail does look a lot like leghorns at times. She has grown more into it.

If she's a PBB, or another colored egg layer, ear color does not track with egg color. For some actual breeds (remember, PBB is a fancy mix, not a breed), it does, but once you start mixing breeds to get colored egg layers, you can't rely on ear color to tell egg color. Many of my PBBs have white ear lobes.

If she's a PBB, or another colored egg layer, ear color does not track with egg color. For some actual breeds (remember, PBB is a fancy mix, not a breed), it does, but once you start mixing breeds to get colored egg layers, you can't rely on ear color to tell egg color. Many of my PBBs have white ear lobes.
Ahh good to know! I was a little worried because I am excited for colored eggs :)

Can you check under the birds feet? Blue stars have yellow while blue Australorps have white. As it could be either of these two. I think the colored egg breeds should have pink if I remember correctly.
So here are the better photos. She is crazy pants. The only chicken I have that is even half this wild. When I hold her she screams bloody murder.

Her feet look more yellow/pink to me. I have BR pullets and their feet are definitely yellow.

Pea comb.

As far as the ear, I don't believe a colored ear is a trait of a blue star. It is a trait for EE and PBB. The color kind of appears white, but is beginning to have a blue/green tint. She is not quite at POL, and anticipate the color will change as we get closer.

Her tail, almost looks like she could be a rooster. (Hinting at specific genetics) Her tail feathers are rounded, comb not red or large yet at 20 weeks, and no spurs/crowing.

Also, her posture is way different than any of my other chickens. She almost stands more upright and curious and holds herself differently.

Attachments

• Crazy pants 1.jpg
    Crazy pants 1.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Crazy pants 2.jpg
    Crazy pants 2.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Crazy pants 3.jpg
    Crazy pants 3.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Crazy pants 4.jpg
    Crazy pants 4.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Ear.jpg
    Ear.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Ft pic1.jpg
    Ft pic1.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Ft pic2.jpg
    Ft pic2.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 3
Can you check under the birds feet? Blue stars have yellow while blue Australorps have white. As it could be either of these two.
So here are the better photos. She is crazy pants. The only chicken I have that is even half this wild. When I hold her she screams bloody murder.

Her feet look more yellow/pink to me. I have BR pullets and their feet are definitely yellow.

Pea comb.

As far as the ear, I don't believe a colored ear is a trait of a blue star. It is a trait for EE and PBB. The color kind of appears white, but is beginning to have a blue/green tint. She is not quite at POL, and anticipate the color will change as we get closer.

Her tail, almost looks like she could be a rooster. (Hinting at specific genetics) Her tail feathers are rounded, comb not red or large yet at 20 weeks, and no spurs/crowing.

Also, her posture is way different than any of my other chickens. She almost stands more upright and curious and holds herself differently.
Yup, you are correct. This seems to be an colored egg layer.

Pea comb.

IMO, that is totally a PBB. My PBBs stand like that too, often very erect. Crazy pants is a good way to describe it. Flying across my 10x20 covered greenhouse run regularly, as opposed to my ISA Browns and BOs that will flap up when startled but don't really fly anywhere. My PBBs get excited to see me (the scratch distributor!!!) and fly across the length of the run and try to perch on the hardware cloth at my head height (they can't, but they'll hover there and try).

Your hen's feet look like mine do. There's a body shape they have when you look from the top, and she has it, comb is right, and feather coloration. Tail is right. Ear is right. She looks about a month or two from point of lay based on color and shape of her comb. My first PBB laid today(!) at 20-23 weeks. In person, it looks slightly less blue, but if you hold it in a white paper towel, it's clearly light blue. Keep us posted on how things turn out, now I'm really curious if my prediction is correct. The proof is in the egg color. :)

(L-R) Pic is of a leghorn egg (from the store), Prairie Bluebell Egg (slightly less blue in person), Starlight Green Egger egg, and a Buff Orpington egg.

Attachments

• Isabel Egg (2).jpg
    Isabel Egg (2).jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom