Easter Egger's and Ameraucana's = same thing

Pics

whiteboy

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
Utah
So, yes, I may be trying to ruffle some feathers here. I'm bored, what can I say more.

So Ameraucana breeders/owners take pride in breeding to the SOP, which is a great thing. It preserves and promotes, what they are trying to accomplish. That being said, does anybody else smirk when they cant stand someone with an "easter egger" claiming to be an Ameraucana. Genetically it may be the exact same thing with some color leakage, etc. Why are people so anal about pointing out and claiming that someones bird is in fact an easter egger?

A breed is a breed. A hybrid is not a breed. Easter eggers are hybrids.

Easter eggers are not genetically identical to Ameraucana. An Ameraucana with faults is a poor quality bird that should not be bred but not a hybrid.
And what is the cross to make it a crossbred? I have some of both and it is impossible to find a difference.

So, yes, I may be trying to ruffle some feathers here. I'm bored, what can I say more.

So Ameraucana breeders/owners take pride in breeding to the SOP, which is a great thing. It preserves and promotes, what they are trying to accomplish. That being said, does anybody else smirk when they cant stand someone with an "easter egger" claiming to be an Ameraucana. Genetically it may be the exact same thing with some color leakage, etc. Why are people so anal about pointing out and claiming that someones bird is in fact an easter egger?
I whole heartly agree with You here. Easter Eggers were Sold as such even before the Ameraucana or Araucana were even a breed, the original breeders of the Ameraucana used Easter Eggers when creating the breed, they were muffed and bearded even before Amerauca was accepted in the APA

Partly because there are people out there that will go and buy 'Americanas' thinking they are getting Ameraucanas. It helps for them to know what to look for so they get the breed they want.

We call them different things because - they are different things.
Us chicken breed freaks like to be specific.
If everyone called them all Ameraucanas, the lines would blur very quickly.
It's not that we dislike EE. They're good birds.
We just like to make the lines clear.

The venerable Easter Egger has a soft place un My heart, I AM about 70% Native American so a Mongrel myself(they are also Native to this continent). So many view them as second rate chickens.

Here a picture of a page of National Geographic September 1948 a beautiful Easter Egger Hen brooding a nest full of color.

unnamed.jpg

Partly because there are people out there that will go and buy 'Americanas' thinking they are getting Ameraucanas. It helps for them to know what to look for so they get the breed they want.

We call them different things because - they are different things.
Us chicken breed freaks like to be specific.
If everyone called them all Ameraucanas, the lines would blur very quickly.
It's not that we dislike EE. They're good birds.
We just like to make the lines clear.
I'd be interested to see the genetic difference between the two. I bet someone looking at the DNA only wouldn't be able to tell the difference. (I realize the the likely of the entire chicken genome isn't mapped yet, so hyptothetical)

Back
Top Bottom