easter eggers how old

My girls are going on 6 months, and I have nothing yet. Geez for that matter all of my girls are the same age, and I am only getting 5 eggs out of 21 hens. I have RIR, CW, SLW. I wish the eggs would come before winter.

Last year my EE girls didn't start laying until 20 - 22 weeks old, but I have one EE girl in the new batch that is laying at about 18 weeks old. I'll have to go look at the calendar again to verify the age.

I was so surprised. She popped out 5 eggs this week since Sat so far. Unfortunately they are TAN!!!!!
hit.gif

She's only been squatting for about a week. Last year the girls seemed to squat for a few weeks before laying.
hu.gif

I had an EE that started laying at 18 weeks old, but most start around 24-26 weeks. I didn't think the others were ever going to start, but when they did they made up for it. They were excellent layers and dedicated to giving an egg almost every single day.

Jody

Quote:
Same here Jody. My older EE girls are very dependable layers also & very sweet girls. I hope that this year's batch are just as dependable. I also hope the 3 other new girls give me a green egg, since the one little girl is laying a tan one.

Can't wait until my Ameraucanas start to lay. They are younger than the new EE girls.

ok well i seems the average is between 20 and 25 from all of what im seeing either that or 7 or 8 months worst case scenario hmmmmmmmmmm well im hoping soon i get impatient

I thought that only one of ours was laying, then I caught her as she was laying. She has been laying brown eggs and we didn't realize they were her's! They are a very light brown and we just thought that it was one of our brown egg layers. So we aren't really sure how old she was when she started. The other one was about 22 weeks.

DMK Ranch

Once a hen lays a certain color of egg, let's say blue, will she always lay blue eggs? My hen layed her first egg, a blue one, 4 days ago, but I haven't seen any since. Is that normal???

Quote:
Yes, if it's a first time layer it can take them a while for their systems to regulate. Last year my one of my first hens to lay, a SLW would take days in between until she got regulated. I had one little girl that didn't lay for a week later. I've heard about them taking even longer.

I have a new little EE pullet that just started laying last Sat and I have received 5 eggs so far. I was very surprised that she's popping them out so regular.

Be patient. I bet you'll have lots of eggs soon.

Edited to add...Yes that a hen will lay the same color egg each time. They will fade a little in color the longer she lays, but it will always be the same color. So a blue egg layer will only lay blue, green egg layer will only lay green & a brown egg layer will only lay brown, etc.

Lucky you to get a blue one!!!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Smitty's Farm :

Quote:
Yes, if it's a first time layer it can take them a while for their systems to regulate. Last year my one of my first hens to lay, a SLW would take days in between until she got regulated. I had one little girl that didn't lay for a week later. I've heard about them taking even longer.

I have a new little EE pullet that just started laying last Sat and I have received 5 eggs so far. I was very surprised that she's popping them out so regular.

Edited to add...Yes that a hen will lay the same color egg each time. They will fade a little in color the longer she lays, but it will always be the same color. So a blue egg layer will only lay blue, green egg layer will only lay green & a brown egg layer will only lay brown, etc.

smile.png

Hey, thanks for the info. This is the first time we have ever had chickens. My 13 year old son talked me into it. Now I think that I am more chicken obsessed than him.​

Last edited:
Quote:

smile.png

Hey, thanks for the info. This is the first time we have ever had chickens. My 13 year old son talked me into it. Now I think that I am more chicken obsessed than him.

Welcome to BYC and the chicken maddness!!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

I think a lot of people start out that way and didn't real how much they would love them. They are so much fun to have and make you a yummy breakfast. n
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom