Easter Eggers - Roos or Pullets? (new Pics added on post 15)

Quote:
Roosters are illegal in this city with no exceptions. So yes, I absolutely don't want roosters. I like them a lot, they are very pretty to have around, and I would love to have extra protection for the hens, but I just can't keep them here.

So I am not just being paranoid, #4,#5, #6 look like they would be more likely to be roosters than hens?

hello, did you figure out what they were? i have the same question for mine, one looks real roo'ish to me and they were all 90% supposed to be girls, uhg.

#2 is definitely a pullet.. can tell by the coloring on her body- the cockerel has the male version of this coloring, you can see he's so much darker than her. She also has a single comb, not a pea comb. This is an indicator that she pretty likely won't lay blue or green eggs.. tan tinted or light brown eggs probably.

The fact there's a single comb(and their being EE) does complicate matters by looking at the single comb for the rows.. birds not pure for pea comb usually have strange looking combs that don't do a neat perfect pea comb pattern. Most of yours have this.

Would guess #3 is a pullet.. would feel better by seeing the whole body.

Chick 4, kind of looks like a girl but would like to see whole body..

Chick 5 Pullet. She's kinda dark but that's from her being a Dark Brown.

The coloring and "look" of #6 says girl to me but that comb is showing a bit of color but then so does #2 and that one definitely is a pullet.. if had to guess right now, would go with pullet, especially if they are all of same age, not with some being a week or 2 older/younger.

Okay, my neighbor who I was splitting these chicks with decided she is keeping #2, #3, and #5. I am finding homes for my other two = #4 and #6. I really needed three to be able to easily combine them with my older girls. I would love any other imput on the two that are looking for a new home so their future owner can know a little better if they are getting girls or boys.

Here are two side views from today of #4 and #6.

Chick#4
P1170193.jpg

Chick#6
P1170199.jpg

Thanks again for the help.

Thank you, Kev.

They were purchased at a feed store as pullets, but I had my doubts after the one turned really red. I was thinking maybe the store owner was mistaken and they could be straight run. So maybe he was the 10% cockerels, not part of the 90% pullets, in the bin. I had previously ordered only pullets directly from the hatchery with just one turning out to be a rooster in a group order of 50+ before.

Any other opinions? Thanks.

I agree with the last statment. With the full body shots they look like pullets.

EE's have distinct coloring, and usually with the pullets it is 'barred looking' while the roos are more one or smudged colos.

I think you got lucky and only have one rooster!

Quote:
Yes - I still think they are definitely pullets.

#'s 2, 4, 5, & 6 on your original post all have typical EE pullet coloring - kind of a welsummer/brown leghorn pullet look that many hatchery EE pullets have, but not EE roos. #1 is the only one that looks like a definite roo.

I went with pullet on #2, but not because of her coloring - I had to go by comb size & redness. #2 is the only one I'm not 100% sure of because there's no full body shot pic.

Back
Top Bottom