Easter eggers slow to lay?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by trailhound, Sep 11, 2008.

1. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    I bought three Easter Eggers (they were all sold to me as Aracaunas, but they all look very different and I don't think any of them are true Aracuanas) several months ago and they were supposed to be about 5-6 months old. Between the three of them I might get one egg per day and they are small. One of the hens might just be a Bantam, but the other two are full sized. I had an Easter Egger several years ago that laid regular sized eggs every single day. Do I just need to be more patient? My hens (of various and a sundry breeds) have always started laying around 6 months and I know that at first the eggs are small, but it seems like it is taking a long time for these gals to get going.

They get unlimited laying pellets, free range time and a very fancy house and are healthy and parasite free.

I want to add a few more hens to my flock and wanted to get some more green egg layers, but now I am not sure.

Andrea

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Yup. Some are early, some late, because basically they are lovely, beautiful mutts so you can't count on anything being standard. But they will lay when they're ready, and they'll be hardy and excellent. Enjoy!

Respect the Mutt!

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    ((the days are getting shorter))

maybe they aren't getting enough light
    chickens need 14 hours of light to lay an egg

4. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    My EE's were 27 weeks before they laid there first egg..... so yes they are super slow to lay! Be patient...... the eggs will get bigger!!

5. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Thanks!

I was down to two chickens this spring and added 8 babies over the spring and summer- so I am doing a lot of chicken work for not a lot of eggs right now. I will be patient, lol.

Andrea

6. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    You are welcome! I know how it is to be working for nothing. I was so impatient before my girls started laying.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My EE/RIR cross was my first junior to lay, at 5 mo. She is the biggest hen I've ever seen! She was as big as my rooster at 5 months and is now top bird on the totem pole at 6 mo. She moved her way up the ladder (actual ladder) to the top of the roost by the time she was 5 mo., usurping the place of my much older hens. She is also my most beautiful bird and my rooster's favorite. So much for not raising birds on laying mash, huh?

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I have a 7 month old EE still not laying [​IMG] She's a bossy bessy, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by