Easter eggers slow to lay?

trailhound

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
I bought three Easter Eggers (they were all sold to me as Aracaunas, but they all look very different and I don't think any of them are true Aracuanas) several months ago and they were supposed to be about 5-6 months old. Between the three of them I might get one egg per day and they are small. One of the hens might just be a Bantam, but the other two are full sized. I had an Easter Egger several years ago that laid regular sized eggs every single day. Do I just need to be more patient? My hens (of various and a sundry breeds) have always started laying around 6 months and I know that at first the eggs are small, but it seems like it is taking a long time for these gals to get going.

They get unlimited laying pellets, free range time and a very fancy house and are healthy and parasite free.

I want to add a few more hens to my flock and wanted to get some more green egg layers, but now I am not sure.

Andrea

Yup. Some are early, some late, because basically they are lovely, beautiful mutts so you can't count on anything being standard. But they will lay when they're ready, and they'll be hardy and excellent. Enjoy!

Respect the Mutt!

Thanks!

I was down to two chickens this spring and added 8 babies over the spring and summer- so I am doing a lot of chicken work for not a lot of eggs right now. I will be patient, lol.

Andrea

My EE/RIR cross was my first junior to lay, at 5 mo. She is the biggest hen I've ever seen! She was as big as my rooster at 5 months and is now top bird on the totem pole at 6 mo. She moved her way up the ladder (actual ladder) to the top of the roost by the time she was 5 mo., usurping the place of my much older hens. She is also my most beautiful bird and my rooster's favorite. So much for not raising birds on laying mash, huh?

I have a 7 month old EE still not laying
hmm.png
She's a bossy bessy, too!

Back
Top Bottom