Easter or Olive Egger

jmjb1999

Hatching
Mar 23, 2015
If I cross a Barred Rock roo with a Cream Legbar hen, will the chicks be easter or olive eggers? Will I be able to tell the sex at hatch?

A brown egg layer mixed with a blue egg layer results in a mix of olive and brown egg layers. I'm not sure if it would be a sexlinked bird, but I'm thinking it would be because of the barred rooster.

Thanks! Any idea how the barring gene would present? There's 2 hatched now. One black with white on its head and one yellow/buff colored.

There will be no sexlinking or autosexing. You will have to wait and see for gender. As for egg color, pullets will lay shades of green. Some may lay a lighter green and others a darker shade, but there is no guarantee of 'olive', so they would be considered Easter Eggers.

Thanks Junebuggena!

Would I get autosexing with a cream legbar roo over a BCM? And would the hens then be more prone to olive eggs?

Thanks Junebuggena!

Would I get autosexing with a cream legbar roo over a BCM? And would the hens then be more prone to olive eggs?
No. For sexlinking, you need the barring gene to be from the hen, and the rooster needs to be non-white and non-barred. A barred rooster will pass a barring gene to all of his chicks, male or female. A barred hen can only pass that barring gene to her male offspring.

Back
Top Bottom