Eastern Kingbird as Alarm and Hawk Deterrent

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Many people discuss crows and jays as hawk deterrents. One that I think is even better, especially with respect to Coopers hawks is the eastern kingbird. It is one of the few types of mid-sized songbirds that can out maneuver a male Cooper’s hawk that targets birds of the kingbird’s size. The kingbird is vigilant and attacks Coopers hawk whether hawk is on perch or on wing. Kingbirds also defend their breeding territories that overlap my production areas and cockyard. Jays and American crows do not have breeding territories in desired location and former ranks high on list of menu choices for Cooper's hawk. The crow seems more intent on combating red-tails which are not a problem this time of year in part owing to another hawk (red-shouldered hawk) that has breeding territories on my ground.

Coopers hawks will go after my chicks and small juveniles during production season unless dogs or adult chickens (hen and/or harem master cock) intervene. Losses during production season to hawks minimal but this also likely in part due to activities of the breeding eastern kingbirds. They alert everybody to presence of hawk, very effectively indicate its location, and harass it to point of distraction. Just moments ago the local male Coopers made a loop around my pasture going after starlings and American robins breeding among trees and building of surrounding neighbors. Songbirds all gave a very distinctive alarm for Coopers hawk and adult starlings flew above hawk in slow circles while the kingbirds in contrast, where on full attack. As hawk’s flight path took it over back over my pasture and directly over a hen with 17 seven-day old chicks, the hawk did not even seem to be aware of hen and chicks it flew over. This actually happens a lot. The hen still got upset about overflight.

Image and link following depict eastern kingbird. Second show harassing a red-tailed hawk which similar to what occurs even with the more agile Cooper's hawk.

First image sourced from http://www.itsnature.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/eastern-kingbird-michael-woodruff.jpg
eastern-kingbird-michael-woodruff.jpg

Image depicting harassment of red-tailed hawk.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39692426@N00/5945062636/

I have actually had opportunity to see similar to second image except I was above interaction where red on eastern kingbird was much easier to see. The kingbird seems to actually ride the hawks head making a lot of racket at same time.

Last edited:
I am having some fun sitting front porch with infant son watching chickens and wildbirds. Within site of my house is a tree with Coopers hawk nest in it and now both adult hawks now hunting since their chicks have or are near fledged. When a hawk flies through it is hunting big time and working on song birds to north. There is several dozens of songbird pairs and lots of fledging songbird chicks, perfect fare for Coopers Hawks. I can sit on front porch with eyes closed and listen to songbirds. Some give a very easy to read song indicating Coopers hawk is in distance and as hawk approaches other bird species chime in. The barnswallows and eastern bluebirds seem to be the long range detectors while every body else chimes in when hawk is close. When the free-ranging game hens her the alarm they call chicks under their skirts and quickly go to cover and chicks lay down. I wish I could record sound hens produce as it is very different from that produced by rooster. Hen call is much higher pitched.

Very cool! We are up iin maine, and although there are hawks here, it just seems not as many as when we live in PA. Our barn is filled with swallows too, and I don't know if they help with alarming or keeping the hawks away. We also have a lot of crows around. Then again, with so many Robin's around, maybe the hawks don't need to try to eat my hens! In three years I have had only one hawk attack, which ended with me chasing the bugger, in my bare feet, screaming like a crazy woman....!

Very cool! We are up iin maine, and although there are hawks here, it just seems not as many as when we live in PA. Our barn is filled with swallows too, and I don't know if they help with alarming or keeping the hawks away. We also have a lot of crows around. Then again, with so many Robin's around, maybe the hawks don't need to try to eat my hens! In three years I have had only one hawk attack, which ended with me chasing the bugger, in my bare feet, screaming like a crazy woman....!
I do not think they keep hawks away, rather in addition to giving alarms and buying hens more time to hide chicks, the dive bombing of the kingbirds on the hawks makes it difficult for hawk to concentrate. To get better idea of what I mean, go grab a kingbird / barnswallow chick or climb up to its nest, the attacks will drive you nuts.

Back
Top Bottom