Wild Birds Keeping Hawks Away?

I've had similar experiences. I've got crows that are merciless on the local birds of prey, and numerous wild birds nest around the property.

In addition, I've noticed especially after a hawk attack last November both the chickens and guineas pay attention to the danger calls of the crows and jays. My birds will either go into alert mode or run for cover depending on what they see and hear.

I know this is a bit old, but I've always been a fan of birds. I have the Merlin app which records and identifies the birds around you and it's so fascinating! We live in an older neighborhood with tall, mature trees so there are lots of birds. We've witnessed a flock of blue jays attacking a hawk and I've seen crows attacking hawks several times. I used to be on the hawk's side but now that I have chickens, I'm thankful for the birds that keep away the hawks. We did have a red tailed hawk land in our yard recently - the chickens were thankfully in a protected tractor - so I know it's still possible but I'm happy that we do have so many birds to warn my birds of danger.

ETA: and we regularly have all five birds on the warning bird list!

I have a lineage of Bluejays that lay eggs every year in my backyard tree. There are also mockingbirds and crows in the creek behind me. I think they definitely scare off hawks. I haven't come across a hawk. But my chickens also stay in a run with a roof on it because I do get bobcats and raccoons.

Back
Top Bottom