Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a kinda sickly chicken. She has clear nasal discharge & infrequent sneezing. She is acting fine other than this: eating, drinking normal, etc. My question is should I mist her directly with Oxine mixture or just run a humidifier in the coop tonight? And if I run it in the coop how long should I leave it on for? Thanks.
Trust me, few years ago I wouldn't have said this but:
Sometimes the best medicine is a ax.

Running noses are scary things in chickens. I wouldn't let it around anyone else for sure. Personally, I would not treat and cull. I know it can be hard. Sometimes I have to have someone else do it when it is a bird I am fond of.

Have a question. I ordered a group of chicks from Murray McMurray back in the spring so they are beginning to lay now
I got 4 blue Andalusian and they haven spurs. Is that normal for them ? Never seen hens with spurs before.
idunno.gif
They are breeds that has hens with spurs. It can happen in any breed... just more in some breeds than others. I have a bantam Delaware hen with spurs. And the worst for it is Sumatras... males have double spurs and hens have one set. ;)

Edited to fix my booboos

Last edited:
Just thought you would like to join the rest of us.
Lets see who all is hatching.

Bario just ordered Eggs
I have 29 in the inky
Stang is looking for some eggs, she was looking for about 90
ep.gif

tnchickenut is almost convinced
dncarr has 42 coming
and I think there were 1 or two more.

So see, I just did not want you to feel left out.
hide.gif

Fall is a bad time for LF... but bantams... hatch away! And I do want to hatch... and, no, I'm not using my broody as a excuse! lol... ok maybe. But I would be happy getting day old off someone as well... nothing fancy, it's my layer flock. ;)

You hit the nail on the head there.... and thank you.

I got a broody right now who won't give up. In a flock of 21 hens and one rooster... chances are she is wasting her time sitting. I think she should have hatched some by now. I don't like breaking them, so I might need a new chick. UGH!!! Can't decide: Put a fertile egg under her, Set fertile eggs and throw chicks under her, or buy chicks and trick her. Votes?

I had a horrible experience when I tried to graft chicks to a broody, so I vote for putting fertile eggs under her. Unless you're BarnQueen. Her broodies would mother a rock.

I had a horrible experience when I tried to graft chicks to a broody, so I vote for putting fertile eggs under her. Unless you're BarnQueen. Her broodies would mother a rock.

Yeah this is a unproven mother... I have some I would trust, but this one... I have no clue how she would take it. And to make it all worse, she is sitting in the coop.... the one with the goat. I'm thinking of moving her to a empty small coop I have and putting fresh new fertile eggs under her. She might not know they are different eggs.

Who has eggs? Mine are all crossbred currently. Rather have purebred so it's easier to sell the extras later. (my mother claims 4 girls if there are that many.... no one ever claims boys!!!!!)

Trust me, few years ago I wouldn't have said this but:
Sometimes the best medicine is a ax.

Running noses are scary things in chickens. I wouldn't let it around anyone else for sure. Personally, I would not treat and cull. I know it can be hard. Sometimes I have to have someone else do it when it is a bird I am fond of.

Please quarantine her! I don't think I'd have the heart to cull a bird for a runny nose, but after everything I went through I REALLY wish I had pulled that first sick girl the first day. I don't know if it would have made a difference since the next one got sick less than twenty four hours later but at least I wouldn't be living with the "what if" right now.

Once you have her quarantined you'll have a pretty good shot of figuring out what's wrong with her based on how she responds to different treatments. If the oxine works it's probably something fungal. If she gets sicker and you decide to use antibiotics and it works, it's probably bacterial. The worst case scenario is that she continues to get worse and you determine it's viral. Knowing what I know now, I think even I could cull a bird with a viral infection.

It's probably nothing serious with your girl. Can you tell I'm a little jumpy?

Yeah this is a unproven mother... I have some I would trust, but this one... I have no clue how she would take it. And to make it all worse, she is sitting in the coop.... the one with the goat. I'm thinking of moving her to a empty small coop I have and putting fresh new fertile eggs under her. She might not know they are different eggs.

Who has eggs? Mine are all crossbred currently. Rather have purebred so it's easier to sell the extras later. (my mother claims 4 girls if there are that many.... no one ever claims boys!!!!!)

Grrrr. Stupid ILT!!! My February hatch of wheaties just started laying, so I'm getting about six blue eggs a day. I really wish we weren't Cooties Farm right now, I'd be offering up eggs in a heartbeat.

The one consoling thought is that the last three batches of wheaties hatched out about 90% boys!

Last edited:
Grrrr. Stupid ILT!!! My February hatch of wheaties just started laying, so I'm getting about six blue eggs a day. I really wish we weren't Cooties Farm right now, I'd be offering up eggs in a heartbeat.

The one consoling thought is that the last three batches of wheaties hatched out about 90% boys!
LOL... cootie farm... lol. My last incubator hatch was my two rounds of Sulmtalers... all boys but one. yay me. Worked a week's pay for one hen and 9 roosters. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I PMed Contrast... I have been eyeballing Olandsk Dwarfs and she has some, I think. I THINK.... Anyone know? I'm impatient in waiting for replies from emails and PMs and things.... I don't know what people did before telephones. I would have been like "Forget it! I forgot all about what I was going to ask" and trot off back on my three day ride back home. Geesh.

LOL... cootie farm... lol. My last incubator hatch was my two rounds of Sulmtalers... all boys but one. yay me. Worked a week's pay for one hen and 9 roosters. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I PMed Contrast... I have been eyeballing Olandsk Dwarfs and she has some, I think. I THINK.... Anyone know? I'm impatient in waiting for replies from emails and PMs and things.... I don't know what people did before telephones. I would have been like "Forget it! I forgot all about what I was going to ask" and trot off back on my three day ride back home. Geesh.

She does have a pair, last I heard. That's ANOTHER breed I wouldn't mind having.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom