Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, littlechicklet. I could do a few hatching eggs but I've read that spring chicks do better than fall. I read the about potato peels here, I think--What I've read and my grandpa shared with me is you cook the skins to get rid of the stuff in the skins--sol? I'll check with my DH for that weekend picnic. I have just a small rabbit hutch for q now--I tried the buckeye there for Q and It's way too small. If DH can add the 10x10 run we just bought and use the hutch for roosting I think I can do 2 more hens in Q, otherwise i would not want to torture other hens. IF we ever get the large coop started/ finished I'm using the summer coop for Q and/or as a brooder.

Last edited:
@littlechicklet

Thanks for checking out the different places. Look forward to seeing the pics and hearing you opinion.

You are welcome. I hope I get the pics & get home before dh goes to work. I usually have him load them to the thumb drive from his laptop because mine does not have a connection for the camera's usb cord or something. Maybe one day I will learn how but if he's gone I will not be able to until around midnight Friday
hide.gif

Thanks, littlechicklet. I could do a few hatching eggs but I've read that spring chicks do better than fall. I read the about potato peels here, I think--What I've read and my grandpa shared with me is you cook the skins to get rid of the stuff in the skins--sol? I'll check with my DH for that weekend picnic. I have just a small rabbit hutch for q now--I tried the buckeye there for Q and It's way too small. If DH can add the 10x10 run we just bought and use the hutch for roosting I think I can do 2 more hens in Q, otherwise i would not want to torture other hens. IF we ever get the large coop started/ finished I'm using the summer coop for Q and/or as a brooder.

I am confused per usual. What about potato peels? and if you are referring to my sol (**** outa luck) is what I meant when I put it in a post. We have 2 of the 10x10 dog runs that are waiting on a chicken coop to be built to use them for fencing.

Last edited:
I am confused per usual. What about potato peels? and if you are referring to my sol (**** outa luck) is what I meant when I put it in a post. We have 2 of the 10x10 dog runs that are waiting on a chicken coop to be built to use them for fencing.
Have you ever seen a dog run converted into a chicken pen.

It sorta makes a chicken tractor.

Works depending on how many chickens you put in there.

Me I take a 7x14 dog run and stretch it to 23 feet.
Add more uprights, 2 cross braces in the top and 1 cross brace on the bottom.
Then cover 13 feet of the top with deer netting and then cover the rest with a tarpaulin,
(at least for now, metal later when funds become available).
Feed pans hang from a center support under the tarpaulin.

For summer I just installed 2x4's for roost but since winter is coming I am
starting to change them over and add a mini coop on one end.

Laying nest are the cheap blue totes from Big Lots with an 8 inch hole cut into the side and tied to the side of the pen.

Good part is you can move them like a tractor but have to warn you the can get HEAVY.

Last edited:
Have you ever seen a dog run converted into a chicken pen.

It sorta makes a chicken tractor.

Works depending on how many chickens you put in there.

Me I take a 7x14 dog run and stretch it to 23 feet.
Add more uprights, 2 cross braces in the top and 1 cross brace on the bottom.
Then cover 13 feet of the top with deer netting and then cover the rest with a tarpaulin,
(at least for now, metal later when funds become available).
Feed pans hang from a center support under the tarpaulin.

For summer I just installed 2x4's for roost but since winter is coming I am
starting to change them over and add a mini coop on one end.

Laying nest are the cheap blue totes from Big Lots with an 8 inch hole cut into the side and tied to the side of the pen.

Good part is you can move them like a tractor but have to warn you the can get HEAVY.

Ohh. We have done that in the past. We called them our redneck ingenuity at its best or worst? We used tarps & saplings for perches. I could not stand the way they looked so we took them down after the chicks grew out and we culled them. We are currently using an old dog run (approx. 14x20) with a temporary pallet coop for the older flock.

tn chicken nut so sorry to hear about your accident & you are right karma is a b----- but west knoxville people fail to look beyond the skin to see the person that is fabulous. What happened go to work for 4 days and everyone goes post crazy took me 45 min to catch up .
My poor chickens look like I need to make them some jackets with the feather loss they undergoing right now. Been giving them all the feed they can eat plenty of boss, rare ocassion throwing a handful of cat food. Some look naked some look like porcupines. Others look good for now but 1 egg in 3 days from 14 layers. Got some others at pol but no eggs yet. Think they may be skeered seeing all the nakeds running around.
gig.gif

By the way welcome all the new folks glad to have additions to our little area !!!
welcome-byc.gif

Enablers I thought that was everyone's middle name just glad I don't have an incubator. But I am too lazy prefer to let the broodys do it. Lord knows they were very busy this year everytime I turned around someone was broody.

tn chicken nut so sorry to hear about your accident & you are right karma is a b----- but west knoxville people fail to look beyond the skin to see the person that is fabulous. What happened go to work for 4 days and everyone goes post crazy took me 45 min to catch up .
My poor chickens look like I need to make them some jackets with the feather loss they undergoing right now. Been giving them all the feed they can eat plenty of boss, rare ocassion throwing a handful of cat food. Some look naked some look like porcupines. Others look good for now but 1 egg in 3 days from 14 layers. Got some others at pol but no eggs yet. Think they may be skeered seeing all the nakeds running around.
gig.gif

By the way welcome all the new folks glad to have additions to our little area !!!
welcome-byc.gif

Enablers I thought that was everyone's middle name just glad I don't have an incubator. But I am too lazy prefer to let the broodys do it. Lord knows they were very busy this year everytime I turned around someone was broody.
Yep they so scared they are afraid it will happen to them.

I have an extra incubator I could loan you.
hide.gif

My name is AJ Talbott Poultry Enabler Reece. The truth comes out finally.

I have a kinda sickly chicken. She has clear nasal discharge & infrequent sneezing. She is acting fine other than this: eating, drinking normal, etc. My question is should I mist her directly with Oxine mixture or just run a humidifier in the coop tonight? And if I run it in the coop how long should I leave it on for? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom