Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
such a cute bunny. im curious if by getting dutch rabbits, i might be able to got good meat from babies, as was wanting dwarf bunnies, but for price these were just so friendly and cute! wondering if i could house train them when thy mature, and have them free roaming like cat or the goat. the collie seems oddly protective over them, were youd think hed want to eat them instead.

Does anyone know what the regulations are in TN on keeping quail? I have called a few places, but keep getting new numbers to call...and i looked on websites etc. But I'm still in the dark.=/

Quote:
I dont' KNOW but I do know that TN doesn't enforce most regulations... if any at all... regularly. I know alot of people with quail and let's just say I know they never worried about regulations.

If you want to play by the book I would start with Fish and Game. If you tried that and they gave you the run around, I would then go to making my order with the hatchery or breeder. LOLOLOL

depends on which qauil, as the normal bobwhites, even if tame and from breeder or hatchery, are illegal and starting to be enforced heavily, as they are becoming rare in th wild in state. the giants and others are ok, some illegal, but enforcers just dont know much, so depends what you have, and if anyone rats you out. there are no laws on the japanease quail i have, but some books conflict and say all foul illegal according to state health code (what i was told supposedly health department said, but havent gotten any paperwork from them actually yet).

legal in knox, as just checked for around myself, but illegal still in alot of other places here.. sadly. was told they really dont care though unless someone complains.

Last edited:
Yup... There went my shade cloth into outer Mongolia...

My husband and kids are making me CRAZY! My roosters have been gone two weeks today. About every other day they tell me they hear a crow in the woods behind our neighbor's house. There are no other chickens anywhere around me. Is it possible one is still out there, only wild? I would love, love, love to have at least one back. I just hate accepting they are gone and then getting my hopes up again. We've trolled the woods again and again.

ive found that getting roosters to come to you is usually as easy as getting out a hen when she is trying to do the egg laying song and dance before or after, heck even roosters that arnt mine come from neighbor farms and call if they are out there.

on another odd note.. does anyone keep the homer, roller, or tumbler, etc.. pigeons around me? a friend has some, but refuses to take care of them to let them breed even (children and chickens stealing eggs and destroying nests etc), an its not looking good for me to get four foster eggs from their pair, for my doves to raise or just incubate slf, and then ive them the babies as theyll happily care for even huge racing pigeon i put in out of bator. i fell in love with the way they evade the raptors, as well as aireal manuvers and stunts in general, but mostly the tight back flips or summersaults they do. seen alot on the pigeon threads, andpeople giving pigeons away (cantfind the ads in sale sections to see if close, as even some family think and said while back i should get into working back with them), and figured maybe someone was having pigeons lay or had to many aqueekers etc, and i could try to get some. neighbors are doing fine it seems, and still come back under supposed less than ideal conditions, so figure i couldnt do to bad, as had homer and racers before, just always was taught that the tricks had to be difficiancies, and never saw the kind im seeing with this pair (also so amll like doves), and ones ive come across since on net (accidentally was led to parlor Utube video, and was appalled and said thought was cruel, then was educated on the stunt pigeons (forgive me the right terms escape me right now), like the idea of being able to watch them free fly to watch out in open.

P.S. pigeons, and or doves arnt illegal now here are they, if anyone knows??? lol just figured id ask, as then ill just go fly mine at neighbors were in "little mexico" no one bothers you if you know people their and the cops even just keep on rollin and guess dont care what goes on down the hill unless called for something (the neighbors there come to think of it had pens outside of chickens, and coops etc sticking out of windows like air conditioners, and numerous guard dogs chained and penned up ll along yards). didnt see a goat (yes i had a mini goat for a while), just the two sheep. lol

That was the scaredest (it's a word now LOL) I have ever been in a storm! I was at work and the roof started to lift, the doors blew off the tracks, heavy stall mats flying around the parking lot, trees twisting in circles and breaking....

then on my way home (at 10pm) a chicken crosses the road in front of me and wouldn't you know... I got it. A pullet. Delaware at that!!! She is a sweet thing... bloodied up a bit, and dirty... not muddy brown, but exhaust black.... she is a hatchery Del, though... about 2 months old, if that.

You don't think she blew in from somewhere else do you? There are no chickens allowed in that town and I was in the dead center of town... just a block from the courthouse.

Quote:
Yes, it's possible. Very likely even. You might want to put out live traps with chicken feed in them. The only thing I can catch in a live trap are my own cats and my own chickens. Still haven't got the raccoon yet.

hmmm... now im wondering when of if ill start seeing escaped chickens around here more, as heard some calling hen from brush, bu she wouldnt come out at feeding time, like others did. i didnt know the recent storms were that bad to destroy stuff, but had flooding and dead and missing chicks (i brought last half dozen in with mama, both because not sure if stolen, flooded away, and not wanting them used as target practice. these will be needing good homes regrettably, but so fun to watch this game they play were two will repeatedly jump up on mamma and slide down.. if only i had a video camera! im sure this is not odd though, just dispels the myth most say about chickens just stupid birds who only want to sit and eat, and tea up your yard for fun and no good reason when they have food (mine didnt by the way, except leghorns before matured, though my quail will do it incessantly!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom