Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The photo contest ended yesterday (only noticed after I submitted 3)
he.gif

Hi folks, I need some advice! I have a broody Black Copper Marans (about an year old). She has two eggs under her, but only one eggs looks like it is developing. She is sitting in the coop with all the other chickens. I have about 10 other eggs ready to hatch this weekend. Should I move the 10 eggs that are under her now or wait until the chick hatch and them put them under her? Also should I move her into a separate caged in area? Is it risky letting her raise the chicks on her own? I thought I saw on here one hen killed her chicks. Thanks for the advice!

I have had many broodies, and let me tell you... no two are the same. I have had them brood on the floor in the coop, free range them when they hatch, and roosters and hens left the chicks alone. Then I have had them hatch babies and turn and kill them themselves because of whatever the reason. I have had them go all the way and give up to have chicks chill pipped in the egg. Then I have seen them hatch them anywhere, anytime, and never want to be away from the chicks.... even when the chicks are grown.

So in other words, use your best judgement and your cheapest eggs. LOL

OK, this is my first project of the summer. DH got involved to it turned out to be a lot more elaborate than I originally planned. He's still planning on adding trim pieced and removable winter covers for the ventilation.
idunno.gif

My backup boys used to be kept in a dog kennel that I divided with chicken wire. I had plastic dog houses for them to escape the elements and had a tarp thrown over the tarp. It was really hard to get in to feed and water and it looked awful. I called it Rooster Shanty Town. This is what we have now...

Now I have a pen for each of my three backup boys plus an extra for broodies, isolation, time out, or growing out.

Stang, your pair is in the second from the left pen and are nice and secure. So, there's no rush now for you to meet me on this end...

That looks amazing! Now if I can just talk my DH into building me one of those too!
OK, this is my first project of the summer. DH got involved to it turned out to be a lot more elaborate than I originally planned. He's still planning on adding trim pieced and removable winter covers for the ventilation.
idunno.gif

My backup boys used to be kept in a dog kennel that I divided with chicken wire. I had plastic dog houses for them to escape the elements and had a tarp thrown over the tarp. It was really hard to get in to feed and water and it looked awful. I called it Rooster Shanty Town. This is what we have now...

Now I have a pen for each of my three backup boys plus an extra for broodies, isolation, time out, or growing out.

Stang, your pair is in the second from the left pen and are nice and secure. So, there's no rush now for you to meet me on this end...

sorry daph. I had a brain fart and thought I was talking to barnqueen on the cat. I brought Harley over one day and did not see the cat curled in the corner of the porch. The cat saw us first and howled then jumped 5 feet and took of across the yard. Harley just looked at me like "what just happened" ?
And that is why it took 3 days for her to finally get her hair to lay down.
lau.gif
Gizmo is just used to being very sheltered and she actually was being naughty as she wasn't suppose to be outside.

@Contrast..broody hens can be really tricky sometimes. I am finally down from 5 to 2 now. But...I have a little white silkie that takes care of a lot of my hatchlings now. The first time I put a chick around her she kept pecking it so I removed. it. After she went broody the first time....she became a permanent brooder. I just too 8 older chicks away from her and gave her 8 new ones. A few of the one I took away have taken up with my black hen who is sitting. She doesn't mind at all. I have a 3 month old white silkie and some of the older chicks think she is the one I took them from. So I go in after dark and at least 3 of them have crawled under her. She looks like she is sitting on a throne! My silkies are the only ones I will give chicks to. That is a characteristic of them..being brooders and good mothers. And the roo does not let anyone interfere either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom