Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it did not hatch like that then it may have been pecked in the eye by other chicks. That is why many put something red in with new babies because they see the red reflection dot in another ones eye so....they peck it. I put red cola caps in with mine if I see them doing this. You can run a wash in it with artificial tears in case it is causing any pain.
I thought it may have been pecked. We have them under red heat lamps but, I will try the red cola caps. Thanks for the info!

Hi folks, I need some advice! I have a broody Black Copper Marans (about an year old). She has two eggs under her, but only one eggs looks like it is developing. She is sitting in the coop with all the other chickens. I have about 10 other eggs ready to hatch this weekend. Should I move the 10 eggs that are under her now or wait until the chick hatch and them put them under her? Also should I move her into a separate caged in area? Is it risky letting her raise the chicks on her own? I thought I saw on here one hen killed her chicks. Thanks for the advice!

Do you remember the stray cat that adopted me last summer? I had a tolerate / hate relationship with her until a couple of weeks ago.

There was a big ruckus in the woods and a HUGE black snake came racing out across the path to the coop. The cat was hot on its tail. She chased it to the edge of the property then came back to the coop.

I know that black snakes are good, but this one likes to sun itself just in the bend of the path to the coop. I walk up on it all the time and have to scream and high-step-run back to the house.

So, the cat is my friend, now. She found the one creature that gives me more heeby-jeebies than cats.

On a related note, my little dog found a little ringneck and almost passed out. He stood 10 feet from it, barking his head off. He was first to retreat, so I guess the ringneck won. Bless him...
So I guess you dont need me to bring Harley up again to scare the crap out of the cat again (in hopes she will run away) LOL

Hi folks, I need some advice! I have a broody Black Copper Marans (about an year old). She has two eggs under her, but only one eggs looks like it is developing. She is sitting in the coop with all the other chickens. I have about 10 other eggs ready to hatch this weekend. Should I move the 10 eggs that are under her now or wait until the chick hatch and them put them under her? Also should I move her into a separate caged in area? Is it risky letting her raise the chicks on her own? I thought I saw on here one hen killed her chicks. Thanks for the aif this shodvice!
Have you given Daph a call? I think she has had several broodies. I am def. no help as I am probably the only one here that has not had a broody (ever)
roll.png
Not sure if that is a blessing or not
idunno.gif

PS.. I wanted you to critique this shot for me. I snapped it in a hurry the other day and was surprised as I barely had time to focus. The only computer work I did to it was to turn it B&W Be honest...I need the help.

Last edited:
Looks great to me! Cute dog! Hey you should enter it in the Food City pet photo contest: http://www.foodcity.com/clubs/pet-club
Have you given Daph a call? I think she has had several broodies. I am def. no help as I am probably the only one here that has not had a broody (ever)
roll.png
idunno.gif

PS.. I wanted you to critique this shot for me. I snapped it in a hurry the other day and was surprised as I barely had time to focus. The only computer work I did to it was to turn it B&W Be honest...I need the help.

So I guess you dont need me to bring Harley up again to scare the crap out of the cat again (in hopes she will run away) LOL

Between Harley and the cat, I'd lay money on the cat. She's street tough. Plus, I don't want her to run away. She averages a mouse a day after the field next to us is mowed and now she keeps the snakes run off. She even got tired of chasing the chickens, so she's permanent.

Now, my dog would probably never recover if he ran into Harley.

roll.png
idunno.gif

Having no broodies is a blessing. I'm battling four right now. Grrrr...

Hey Contrast, I had a horrible outcome when I tried to "graft" chicks to a broody. The broody killed all but two that hid and the one that she hatched out. It was her first attempt at hatching, so that might have been part of the problem.

First time broodies can forget to go back to the nest or they sometimes step on their eggs, so I wouldn't give her any eggs that are valuable but I would definitely give her eggs instead of chicks.

If your broody is pretty high up the pecking order you might not have to separate her because she can protect the chicks. My ameraucana hatched a chick before I expected and could get her moved and they have done great. It's really cute to see the little chick up there on the roost with the big guys, too.

I'm just the example of how NOT to use a broody. Terry's the one that actually has success. She needs to chime in here.

Hi folks, I need some advice! I have a broody Black Copper Marans (about an year old). She has two eggs under her, but only one eggs looks like it is developing. She is sitting in the coop with all the other chickens. I have about 10 other eggs ready to hatch this weekend. Should I move the 10 eggs that are under her now or wait until the chick hatch and them put them under her? Also should I move her into a separate caged in area? Is it risky letting her raise the chicks on her own? I thought I saw on here one hen killed her chicks. Thanks for the advice!
I think it depends on the hen that is broody. We have had a silkie go broody a lot and she is in a small cage with a rooster that is very aggressive and hateful and pecks at anything that gets near the cage but, he has been very protective of the chicks she has hatched and has never hurt anyone. Also, have a buff orpington that has been broody with 2 other hens and a rooster- no one ever hurt her chicks except for there were two that were weak when they were hatched and she killed them herself. I don't think I would move her we tried that because we thought she was in a bad spot for hatching her chicks and she just up and left her eggs and went back to her original spot. Right now my silkie is broody and should be hatching this weekend, I have 2 game hens that are broody with everyone else's eggs that hatched in their "broody spot" one is in the loft on the stacks of hay bales and the other is in the coop with about 7 other chickens.

sorry daph. I had a brain fart and thought I was talking to barnqueen on the cat. I brought Harley over one day and did not see the cat curled in the corner of the porch. The cat saw us first and howled then jumped 5 feet and took of across the yard. Harley just looked at me like "what just happened" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom