Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now for the pics of the parks. I went to 3 today. I am going to post pics & my take on each. I guess we can vote on which one to use or if someone else knows of another one just speak up.

Park #1: Spring Place Park (also known as Loves Creek Park)

Knoxville, 37924

Spring Place Park is 6 acres and features a picnic shelter and tables, playground, and 0.25 paved walking trail. (its technically a Knox County park)

this last pic the parking lot & covered tables are up on the right behind the play area. the creek & spring are to the left.

Pros: Cons:
No fee First come First Serve
Small Port-a-Potty
No sports fields Smallish (parking around 20 vehicles)
Easy to find No grills
Shady
Play area close to picnic area

Park #2: Holston River Park

Knoxville 37914

44 acre park that features 2 large picnic shelters, picnic tables, a canoe launch, playground, open space, paved trails, 2 soccer fields, restrooms, 2 fishing piers and the Holston River greenway

this is shelter #2 (sorry did not get pic of #1) you can see it is located behind soccer field & restrooms (I think are behind upper right)

Pros Cons
Ability to Reserve Fee (I think $25 for 4 hrs & $50 for day)
Maybe more parking
Sports fields (maybe games?)
Real Bathrooms Right on River (maybe concern for children)
Grills Play area on other side of field (but maybe another one)
Larger Larger
Slightly harder to find

The last one I checked did not even warrant pics. It was just ball fields with a few token picnic tables. I hope this helps. I am a visual person so pics are always a plus for me. I will check back later & see what you have decided. I think if you mapquest or google driving directions you will not have any trouble with either but the #2 has a weird fork in the road thing on the way. They are both approximately equal in the distance from the zoo (and about 4 miles apart with different zip codes). I have found a couple more but did not get to check them out.

Last edited:
Park # 2
If we can just plan on Saturday, then I'll try to get there earlier to snag it if it is not reserved for someone else. Usually if they are not reserved, it is first come first serve. I'll just make a poster board sign to let people know it is taken. If I see it is reserved....then I can hurry up and grab the other one.

If I knew that we were going to have 20 people or more...then I dont have a problem paying the 25.00, I just dont want to do it if we only end up getting a few this time.

So like AJ said. Please do think about trying to make it. For all the new folks to the group, we have always had a great time getting to know each other.
big_smile.png

Try and RSVP here on the thread so AJ can keep up

I am inclined to agree with Bario. I like #2 just for the real bathrooms and grills in place.
Even though I like the playground in #1, but TOOO many smelly experiences with port-a-potties.

So I vote #2,

As for the weird fork in the road maybe we can stick up a sign so Terry, whoops her GPS, does not get lost.
hide.gif
(Hi Terry we missed you.)

Hello I am fairly new to BYC. I live 49 miles east of Nashville Tn. We just started raising chickens this spring I was a bit flustered as we lost about 5-6 for no reason they just died and I had to reace some so now we have only 3 actually laying right now. I would love to have at least 2 blue egg layers. I lost my americanas and now we aren't getting any blue green eggs. I was going to try to buy something from the buy sell trade site but you have to have 20 post. I don't understand that rule. Why is that??? If anyone knows where I can buy young hens that just started to lay I would love to have blue egg layers and. Also a trio of cream legbar's thanks

Hello I am fairly new to BYC. I live 49 miles east of Nashville Tn. We just started raising chickens this spring I was a bit flustered as we lost about 5-6 for no reason they just died and I had to reace some so now we have only 3 actually laying right now. I would love to have at least 2 blue egg layers. I lost my americanas and now we aren't getting any blue green eggs. I was going to try to buy something from the buy sell trade site but you have to have 20 post. I don't understand that rule. Why is that??? If anyone knows where I can buy young hens that just started to lay I would love to have blue egg layers and. Also a trio of cream legbar's thanks
Welcome to our small (small, ya right) group.
Sometimes web sites have strange rules for new people, who understands them, NOT me.

Sorry I don't have anything you are looking for, but maybe someone will.

In the mean time:
welcome-byc.gif

welcome, if you look in the middle tn thread there is someone with legbars... probably really close to you. Must have a certain # of posts because of problems with scammers.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif

I like #1, on the website it says there is a grill... Are you sure there isn't one?

I saw a grill but it looked like someone had abandoned it not like the ones you see at park #2 (unless I missed the other grill?). I like park #1 but the port-a-potty is not something I will go in. There is a Pilot gas station maybe 1/2 mile from there with a bathroom (so I would go there). Park #1 is smaller, more quaint, has a creek & a spring but only the one covered area. I will go to whichever one you guys choose. I guess I would say park #1 is more low tech & park #2 more high end (it is near the golf course, the Dogwood Trail etc).

As far as my kinda snotty hen goes: misted with Oxine last night while on perch (husband forgot the humidifier). I checked on her this morning & she was not snotty at all. I just checked her & she seems fine: beak is clear (will check better later). The way I view it is: all 6 in the pen have already been exposed to whatever this is, she is not acting very sick and only time will tell what it is if anything. I am not opposed to culling but will not cull until I determine it is necessary. If it came to it I would cull my entire flock & start over but that's just me. I like my clucks & they are pets but they are not the same as my inside pets. Do not mean to offend anyone who has a different view of theirs this is just my view of mine. One final note: if it is anything serious I will let you know & I will not come in contact with anyone for fear of passing it on.

As to the previous posts about pets: I too feel sorry for people who can not have pets because to me they are my chill pills.

Yay! She probably just snorted some feed dust or something, then.

I'm not offended by your using logic when it comes to your flock. Just because I'm a wimp doesn't mean I'm opposed to culling. Good chicken owners do what's best for their flock even when it's tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom