Easy! 98% way to sex chicks.

I've tried to see if I can figure out vent sexing, but IDK what I'm doing. Does anyone know if there's an online tutorial or an upclose pictogram/diagram so that way I know what I'm looking for when I see it? I've tried to search it on my own,but there are so many things that come up and none are relavent to what I'm talking about.

I'm afraid to Google that.
hu.gif
I can imagine what those keywords would bring back in a search.
ep.gif

Haha! No, it didn't bring up anything inappropriate! Well, at least nothing that "I" clicked on. You, however? You never know. Do you feel lucky, today? LOL! Nah - it was mostly people TALKING about it and videos of a couple people doing it, but just showing the person sitting at a table doing it. So nothing close up so I can actualy see what they're talking about. Because if you haven't looked before, they all look the same. And try as I might, I'm just not seeing what it is that theyr'e talking about, so I'm not even sure if I'm doing it right in the first place.

Vent sexing, also known simply as venting, involves squeezing the feces out of the chick, which opens up the chick's anal vent (called a cloaca) slightly, allowing the chicken sexer to see if the chick has a small "bump", which would indicate that the chick is a male. Some females also have bumps, though they are rarely as large as those of male chicks.

The art of vent or cloacal sexing of day-old chickens is difficult to master without instructions from an experienced sexer. Use the following to help develop the procedure:

Before examining the vent, discharge the chicken´s excretions by lightly pressing on both sides of the abdomen in a downward motion.
Place the chicken on its back in the palm of your hand with the head towards you, put your thumb and first two fingers around its thighs to hold it.
Tip your hand so that the chicken´s breast is towards you, vent uppermost.
Place your middle fingers over the chicken´s breast to support the chicken leaving your thumb free. (If you have large hands, place the chicken´s head between your little finger and ring finger for additional support.)
Place the thumb of your other hand on the lower portion of the vent (anus).
Using the index finger start from the top of the vent moving down, back and around, rolling the vent in a sideways action.
At the same time a similar action with the free thumb, starting from the top and rolling down and back.
With the thumb and forefinger placed either side of the vent apply gentle pressure and a rolling action to evert the vent and expose the male eminence or lack of it (sexed as female). After a little practice this can be accomplished without injury or significant discomfort to the chicken.

The eminence or genital organ is found midway on the lower rim of the vent, and looks like a very small pimple. Even though its size and shape can vary considerably, it can be recognised with a little practice and a keen eye. Most males have a relatively prominent eminence, most females have none. However, a small proportion of both males and female have relatively small eminences. Sexing these chickens can be quite difficult, but with regular practice the sexer will eventually learn to identify the differences.

When learning to sex chickens it is best to assume that chickens with small eminences are female. The male eminence is solid and will not disappear upon gentle rubbing with your thumb. Having access to chickens of known sex is a great help in developing the art of vent sexing and feather-sexed meat chickens are ideal for this purpose. Professional vent sexers have studied their external appearance, which can fall into as many as fifteen basic patterns, and learned to identify which ones are male and which female.

Many professional vent sexers are Japanese, where the method originated. A seminal paper about vent sexing was published in Japan in 1933 by Professors Masui and Hashimoto, which was soon translated into English under the title sexing baby chicks. After their discovery, interested poultry breeders hired those who had been trained in Masui and Hashimoto's technique, or sent representatives to Japan to learn it.

Back
Top Bottom