Easy coop to build?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SeasideSilkies, Jun 10, 2011.

1. SeasideSilkies

SeasideSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    hi everyone! I have a problem... I want more chickens than my coop can hold! (which I'm sure is a problem everyone here has) No one else in my family ia really a "chicken person" but my parents did help me build my first coop. I'm sure theres no way I could have built that one with out them and when I asked them if we could build another coop the answer was "you want more chickens, you build more chicken houses" which is understandable I guess because they are very busy.
    Soooo... I am asking the only chicken people I know... you guys. Is there any type of coop that would be very uncomplicated? I have seen pictures of an aframe coop, would they be hard to build? Also if you have built coops before that seem like they could be built by a teenage girl with no carpentry skills I would love to hear about it or see pictures. thanks! [​IMG]

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Good luck. You could try a hoop house type, like the run in my siggy.

3. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Depends on how many more chickens you want but you could design one basically out of any pre-existing unit...ie....old utility shed, abandoned doghouse, old playhouse, gardening shed etc. You'll have to do some revamping of course but it's a good start cause you already have the frame and all the hard/major labor is already done. Plus it cuts your cost down! A frames are also very simple.

4. SeasideSilkies

SeasideSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks both! I think that type of run would definetely be easier than the usual ones.
    It does sound like a good idea to use something I already have. Theres an old playshed I don't use anymore... I would basically just have to build nest boxes and add ventilation and a run, and make sure its secure. Is there anything else major I would need to do if I used the shed? I am researching Aframes to!

5. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

6. Chicksandhorses

Chicksandhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    im looking for a easy coop to build too this is the first time we've hatched chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by