Easy DIY rain barrel design?

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
We've been getting a lot of rain recently and it it got me thinking - why am I not collecting this rain to use on my garden? It seems kind of backwards that I just let it go to waste and instead pay for city water from the hose every time.

So, does anyone have any super simple DIY rain barrel ideas? I am talking low-cost, easy to throw together and use. I know literally nothing about rain barrels so I would appreciate any enlightenment you can provide. Thanks!

Heavy duty plastic garbage can with lid. 1 spigot with washer and nut. Small chunk of window screen. Zip ties.
Install spigot 6-12" off the bottom. Elevate can as needed, blocks, to make accessable for watering can. Flip lid upside down, cut/drill holes 2-4" . Cover holes with screen, secure with zipties. Secure lid to base. Place under downspout.

Heavy duty plastic garbage can with lid. 1 spigot with washer and nut. Small chunk of window screen. Zip ties.
Install spigot 6-12" off the bottom. Elevate can as needed, blocks, to make accessable for watering can. Flip lid upside down, cut/drill holes 2-4" . Cover holes with screen, secure with zipties. Secure lid to base. Place under downspout.
Wow seems pretty easy!! Thank you. Do you have to cut the downspout to aim in into the can? I'm assuming. All mine currently go into the ground.

Back
Top Bottom