Easy question...

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
Do leghorns always lay white eggs? I have a 7 mth old leghorn..who, when came here, was laying well..only white eggs we got. Now we are no longer getting white ones. I’m just making sure she’s healthy, due to weather, etc. thanks!!

Egg shade can change but color does not and not usually on white eggs that I've seen.

Laying hormone is effected by hours of daylight. It can very diminished during winter. Most of my first year layers continue laying through winter, but each is an individual. If she happens to be having a molt or mini molt she might not lay during that time. How many hours of light have ya got and what are your feeding on a regular basis including treats and supplements?

Is she actively eating, drinking, and pooing? Any chance of a hidden nest? How long since she came to you at 7 months old, or what age is she now?

Are you able to post a pic? :pop

Hoping all is well! :fl

Last edited:
Egg shade can change but color does not and not usually on white eggs that I've seen.

Laying hormone is effected by hours of daylight. It can very diminished during winter. Most of my first year layers continue laying through winter, but each is an individual. If she happens to be having a molt or mini molt she might not lay during that time. How many hours of light have ya got and what are your feeding on a regular basis including treats and supplements?

Is she actively eating, drinking, and pooing? Any chance of a hidden nest? Hoe long since she came to you at 7 months old, or what age is she now?

Are you able to post a pic? :pop

Hoping all is well! :fl
ditto! :goodpost:

I can get a picture later..it’s finally warm and a downpour! She’s about 10 mths? The guy who gave her to us said she was a pain...she’s not at all. She can fly so she likes to wander...:). She’s white. She when she came she didn’t lay in the boxes at first..then she did. I dint supply light...after much much going back and forth I decided to give the girls a break. They all came from a bad farmer who went to jail..but are super healthy now and great layers...but she came from a friend. I suppose she could be laying elsewhere since she does get out and free range, while the others came with clipped wings.

A few weeks ago she had a poopy bum and a friend with pigeons said I should put iodine in the water. I asked on here...everyone said, trim her feathers. We did and her bum looks great. So, I believe she’s healthy, she’s friendly..I was just worried. She does sit in the nesters a lot..I find her in there...just no white eggs. Only a few tan as I have one EE. So, perhaps she’s slowed down...perhaps she found a new spot.

oh, the feed..we just switched to 18% crumbles..it’s basically the same mix as a Purina but made at our local feed store..same percentage for most things. Snacks are kept healthy because we are health nuts. I don’t mix in the grit. Free feed oyster shells at all times.

heat tape in water so it never freezes..new shavings in coop..shovel the run..etc...

Thanks...lol

this was supposed to be easy..sorry!

Chickens are funny. They may lay or they may not. Winter is a tricky time for laying anyway. I have a Welsummer/Americauna mix that laid for a couple of months and then just stopped. Boom, no more olive eggs! She is a youngster, not molting and conditions have not changed much, just the weather. So, chickens will do what they do when they want to do it. They have hormones too, and that decides a lot. If she is acting healthy, eating, drinking, pooping (what chicken doesn't poop!) I wouldn't worry. She begin to lay again when it's her time to do so! :hugs

I've had girls stop laying for a week or two in the winter, then start up again when it gets warmer. I'm not sure if that's normal though--we are in Louisiana so our winters are cookoo!
I live in a bit more of a cookoo weather pattern than anything in Louisiana my 18 month old and Plus group of daily layers(5 total) are producing 1 egg between them every other day. Most of our days this "winter" have been 80+ with partly to mostly sunny. I am a firm believer in the sunlight exposure camp. Today an actual cold front made it to us my morning coffee today was outside on my porch in a pair of tidy whities and flipflops and 74F with 99% humidity. Now it is a blustery 54F after the front hit at 9:34AM. My 11 silkie hens at 7.5 months are unfazed and put out their normal 5 eggs from 11 gals with 3 brooding a nest of 10 eggs. Sure in Summer they were all putting out crazy numbers of eggs.

I live in a bit more of a cookoo weather pattern than anything in Louisiana my 18 month old and Plus group of daily layers(5 total) are producing 1 egg between them every other day. Most of our days this "winter" have been 80+ with partly to mostly sunny. I am a firm believer in the sunlight exposure camp. Today an actual cold front made it to us my morning coffee today was outside on my porch in a pair of tidy whities and flipflops and 74F with 99% humidity. Now it is a blustery 54F after the front hit at 9:34AM. My 11 silkie hens at 7.5 months are unfazed and put out their normal 5 eggs from 11 gals with 3 brooding a nest of 10 eggs. Sure in Summer they were all putting out crazy numbers of eggs.
Oh wow! That's nuts! I want to live there!

Chickens are funny. They may lay or they may not. Winter is a tricky time for laying anyway. I have a Welsummer/Americauna mix that laid for a couple of months and then just stopped. Boom, no more olive eggs! She is a youngster, not molting and conditions have not changed much, just the weather. So, chickens will do what they do when they want to do it. They have hormones too, and that decides a lot. If she is acting healthy, eating, drinking, pooping (what chicken doesn't poop!) I wouldn't worry. She begin to lay again when it's her time to do so! :hugs
Perfect answer!:)

Back
Top Bottom