Easy (?) Silkie Comb Question

suzettex5

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
California
Why do some silkies have the blob-like comb, and some have the straight in a line comb? Is it s sex-linked trait? I got a batch of silkies 7 weeks old now, and all from the same place, I was just wondering about the difference.

silkies should have a walnut shaped comb It should not be red either. It should be dark maroon

edit to ad: I have seen some silkie mixes that look like the real thing except they will have a pea comb.Hatchery birds are more likely to have incorrect combs

Last edited:
Combs are not sex-linked. There are different types based upon a combination of several genes. A single comb (sawtooth or straight) is incorrect for a silkie, and would be a disqualification. Silkies should have a walnut comb, although many have a modified rose comb instead of a true walnut comb. A walnut comb is the result of the pea comb gene AND the rose comb gene. Ideally the bird should not have the rough comb modifier, but many do have it. Likewise, they shouldn't have the trifid modifier, but many do.

Quote:
What is a rough comb modifier?

http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations2.html#gen_mut_comb Notice the difference in the combs on the silkie and on the redcap.

Yup, thanks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom