1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

easy way to tell sex of a chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by deryl reed, Jul 27, 2008.

1. deryl reed

deryl reed Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    Sexing baby chicks is not an easy process. There are a few who would try to simplify the matter with “old wives’ tales” of how to sex baby chicks. One method often repeated is tying a weight to the end of a piece of string and hold it over the young animal. One interpretation of this method says that if the object swings back and forth it is a male; if it rotates in a circle, it is a female. it works on eggs also

2. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! Didn't realize that worked with animals too! [​IMG] I tried that with my wedding ring and a piece of string to figure out the sex of my kiddos while I was pg.

Sonja

3. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Can anyone post a graphic description on how to vent sex non sexlink breeds?
    Pictures and such? That would be great!
    Could come in handy one day!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a method with the same odds. Flip a coin. You have a 50/50 chance of being right.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Yes that sure would be great to get pics...and then that would be a good sticky note for BYC!

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
  7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Not sure this is true with all breeds, but at a few days old you can look at the wings and if the feathers are all the same length its a roo and if they are two lengths it will be a hen. On my RIR's this was true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by