Eat a predator killed chicken.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by foamspoon, Feb 9, 2014.

1. foamspoon

foamspoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2007
    I have dead hen that a predator got last night. I woke up early and heard it happening and scared it off, but not before the bird was killed and its head... well eaten off. The rest of the body is fine and looks pretty good. It was partially froozen when I found him when the sun came up.

Can I process him and eat him?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm sure it's been done, but personally, I wouldn't, if only for fear of raccoon worms. And any other things I don't happen to know about.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    x2

4. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    lots of people eat road kill.. ever watch Beverly hillbillies? the eat road possum all the time.... well seriously...when we hunt the birds are like that all the time .. no need to worry just eat it... even deer hit by cars lots of people get permission to process after its been dead.. main thing is if it looks good it is good.. jeff

5. Berner Mom

Berner Mom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2014
    Porter Corners, NY
    I hope you didn't throw it away. I am sure it was perfectly fine as it was a healthy chicken prior to the predator. If it wasn't a healthy chicken than that would have been a different matter, but fresh kill like that, especially if the carcass was fine and it hadn't bleed into the body cavity would be fine.

6. REDNECK TRAPPER

REDNECK TRAPPER Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Just cook it good and it should be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by