Eating a fertile egg?

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
I have what may be a silly question...

My hens and roosters live together and are not seperated. What is the change of gets eggs and putting them in the frig, eating them and them possibly being fertile? If you candle them and don't see anything, can they still be fertile?

If your roo is in with your hens there is a good chance that they all are fertile. You can't candle and tell which is fertile and which is not (edited to add > ) unless you incubate them and then candle and see an embryo developing after 5 - 7 days.

I am not sure if your post is out of concern about eating a fertile egg or not.

Collect them daily. They are perfectly fine to eat. An embryo will not begin to develop in them until they are incubated or sat on my a broody hen for a while.

When you crack them open look for a little bullseye with a ring around it on the yolk. That will tell you if they are fertile or not. Eat them anyway. There is nothing wrong with them.

Last edited:
Store now sell fertile eggs for eating. They are actually labels "fertile eggs". I dont know if they believe there is some added benefit or not.

Should try to hatch them!
lol.png

There is not one difference in taste from a non-fertile egg and a fertile one....Fertile eggs need the right conditions with incubation and temps for chicks to start growing, either using a incubator or broody hen....

Back
Top Bottom