eating chickens you raise

Glad I am not the only one that feels this way.

I guess I can only go through it and see.

I have no intentions of killing them myself though. I will let someone else do the job if I can find someone to do it.

The issue is then whether I can eat them and won't know till deed is done. I do love fresh roasted chicken and my own chicken soup.
But then I have a couple of sandwiches and don't usually finish it. The ones at the store are just awful -- I don't think they are worth buying anymore - though and stringy. I did have a couple from friend who raises them and they were totally different.

So hope I can handle it.

tHankss for all the replies . Good topic. Maybe talking about it will make a difference too,

Dianne

Personally I would not have problem doing the whole thing. From start to finish. I look at things as they are. If I do it myself then I know what is done to that chicken and how fresh it is. I always wonder when I buy stuff from the store. Where has is been and how long? What do they feed the poor thing. Sometimes it even smells a little funky. I don't buy much chicken. I am not much help here I come from a hunting family.

My dh shoots things. Groundhog, squirrel, beaver, rabbit, whatever is handy and in season. I do not eat his homemade beans without asking what else is in the crock. I am willing to try just about anything but I draw the line on eating rodents. No thanks. It would be like eating a rat to me. YIKKES.
sickbyc.gif

This is somthing I have been struggling with too. I would like to eat my own but haven't been able to bring myself to kill one. I had 8 roos given to me with the intent of putting them in the freezer. After a month of "fatting" them up they were still sitting out in the pen. I ended up giving them away.
lau.gif

Haven't eaten my own chickens since I was a kid.

We'll see if I can do it later this year. I'm hoping that if I hatch out any roos, I'll be able to pic the ones I don't want to save and that they will be delicious.... hmm perhaps an apricot glaze....?

Thanks for replies. I think I'd like to end the topic now. I have to ponder what has been said.

Dianne

Back
Top Bottom