1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating "Flipped" CornishX

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by T-5FARM, Sep 21, 2009.

1. T-5FARM

T-5FARM New Egg

Aug 5, 2009
    Piedmont, NC
    Is there any reason not to use a 7-wk old CornisX that was found dead in the tractor? (assuming it has not been dead long) I know I've cleaned and eaten doves that were dead for several hours before cleaning with no adverse effects.

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Personally I wouldn't eat anything that has died without me killing it. Even when I hunt doves and pheasants... I find myself ending my hunting short as I want to make sure the birds are processed soon.

However, I see no problem eating it as long as you eat it within a couple days. I would not freeze it as the blood is still in the bird making it a prime canidate to spoil or taint very quickly.

Process it.... brine it... and eat it... if that's what you want to do.

3. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I will eat just about anything & I wouldn't eat something I found dead.

4. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have processed ones I've found dead, if they died within seconds of me finding them. If you cut off the head, and the blood pours out, then it is probably okay; however, if it just dribbles out, then the blood will still be in the meat, and the taste is just not good. Okay for the dog, maybe, but most people wouldn't like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by