Eating Rooster

mozee68

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
Norhern NJ
My rooster attacked my four year old daughter yesterday!! he did some serious damage scratches and bruising.(mostly on her face) she was no where near him or where he likes to hang out. My older kids swear that he has been stalking them all week. Anyway he is going GOING today! So my question is....he will be 1 year old this month. Is he a stew bird or a roaster. I don't want to roast him if he is going to be tuff. Please somebody let me know what you think

At that age it's the stew pot for him. I've read that roasters are anywhere between 8-18 weeks, depending on the breed.

If a roo attacked one of my kids like that, it'd be right to the chopping block with him.

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I had a nasty D'Uccle roo that did something similar to me daughter when she was 2. All she did was come out the sliding glass door and he put a long scratch down her face. He was too little to eat so he just went to the garbage. He just wasn't worth the effort. I also had a mean buff rock roo that used to try and flog me and went after the kids one day. Hubby wacked him with the shovel when he turned on him the same day.

Definitely stew. We made a fantastic Coq au Vin with ours after repeated attacks on myself when he was 8 months. I was worried he would go after my 2-yr old next. Anyways, he wasn't too stringy, and we only cooked him a couple of hours... If you go with stew, definitely add some good red wine or whisky in the pot -- the alcohol cooks off, but also helps tenderize the bird.

He would be good in soup or stew. I accually like to eat old rooster. What breed of rooster was he? I remember when I was a kid eating a rooster for dinner that attacked my little brother. We ate him the same day. He was a california white rooster. Sounds like you are going to have some good dinner.

Back
Top Bottom