Rude Rooster

Maggiechrisman

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2023
Meet Sir.
My handsome Houdan Roo. He used to be so friendly and lovable but after “peaking”, he has started attacking ankles.
Instinctively, when he did it to me, I kicked him on the butt (just enough to lift him) and chased him down. I caught him and picked him up and held him for a few minutes. He hasn’t done it to me since. Now he’s going over the kids. I’ve got a 5 year old whose terrified to go in the backyard now because he doesn’t want scratched again and he’s gotten my 2 year old daughter (she’s not afraid to yell at him) and a friends kid. Is there anything else I can do? I don’t want to rehome him because he does a good job with the hens. My kids are more important though. I’ve tried talking to my son but he’s scared to chase him down, scream at him etc. Sir will eat from my fist and still lets me pick him up and walks with me

TIA!

Attachments

• A39A3B47-9763-476E-BB4A-CCCAD5448850.jpeg
    A39A3B47-9763-476E-BB4A-CCCAD5448850.jpeg
    668.7 KB · Views: 65
There are Youtube videos that show how to train roosters to become non-aggressive to humans, but honestly I don't think it is worth the risk when there are little kids around. Their safety and peace of mind is far more important than any rooster. I would start looking for a new home for him ASAP, and you should note his behavioral problems wherever you decide to advertise, be it Craigslist, on here or anywhere else.

We had a cockerel that attacked our two year olds leg one time and he went to freezer camp that night.

Your cockerel might not have caused damage yet, but as he grows he will get bigger and his spurs will get longer and he could easily reach a toddlers face. If you want to keep a cockerel/rooster for your flock there are lots of docile cockerels that can’t be kept due to ordinances that would create a much more peaceful environment for your flock and family.

There are Youtube videos that show how to train roosters to become non-aggressive to humans, but honestly I don't think it is worth the risk when there are little kids around. Their safety and peace of mind is far more important than any rooster. I would start looking for a new home for him ASAP, and you should note his behavioral problems wherever you decide to advertise, be it Craigslist, on here or anywhere else.
I fully agree that no rooster is worth the risk to children and to have FULL DISCLOSURE if trying to rehome.

It almost never works to have children and roosters share the same yard. The normal play of children is upsetting to the rooster, and roosters are opportunist, in that they will attack smaller people more often, and especially if they child is not paying attention.

Roosters have ruined the whole chicken hobby for a lot of people. Get him gone.

Mrs K

I have read very few success stories of training an aggressive rooster. That said, I have noticed two types of good rooster. One will keep a distance from humans at all times. The other is assertive in knowing that humans have treats and will get right up close to get said treats, but otherwise knows that humans are no threat to him or his flock.

I have not had children around my flock, but can see how normal childhood behavior would be upsetting to even the good roosters.

Thanks all, we’ve decided to give him until spring-then he will be rehomed. Mainly waiting because I have a friend who can give him a good home♥️

Thanks all, we’ve decided to give him until spring-then he will be rehomed. Mainly waiting because I have a friend who can give him a good home♥️
Just a thought- can you fence off a small part of your yard for the chickens? This is what I've done. My roosters can be roosters inside the fence and the kids can play in the rest of the yard. Is this maybe possible for you?

Just a thought- can you fence off a small part of your yard for the chickens? This is what I've done. My roosters can be roosters inside the fence and the kids can play in the rest of the yard. Is this maybe possible for you?
Seconding this. Obviously space-contingent, but I keep kiddos and chickens separate unless the roos are locked up. I have four mature roo/cockerels of my own and two others on the property at the moment; even the slightly aggressive boys seem happy to stay away inside their enclosures so there's no trouble.

Next year we are going to put up a hot wire around a part of the yard. As of right now the chickens don’t care if a fence is in the way lol

Back
Top Bottom