Eating the rooster's

Thank all of you for your idea's! I guess that I will have to buy one of those pressure cooker's (if you can still find any that are not run by electric), because I only have a large crockpot.
I got mine at Walmart- it is basic and huge! (presto brand). Works great for old hen and rooster processing. (I usually pressure can my chicken meat from older birds and then pressure cook carcasses to make stock... Then back to pressure can the stock.) I can't say enough great things about a weighted-gauge, simple, pressure canner/cookers.

I use those scissor-type things from the garden center that are for snipping off roses. Works great, when I know where they are. My DH got me a new pressure cooker (old, weighted kind) that I can use on my flat cooktop. My other small one isn't flat on the bottom anymore and the big one would be too heavy :( I used to cook in a pressure cooker all the time, but a crockpot is better since I'm at work all day now. Still love it for canning!

Because I don't want something that will quit on me if the electric goes out so that I would end up with half-cooked food. :D
Does that happen often? I mean, if your electricity is somewhat reliable, the electric one is the way to go. Turn it on and walk away. No need to monitor gauges, count jiggles, or whatever. But if your electricity is iffy all the time, this would probably not be the thing for you.
I use those scissor-type things from the garden center that are for snipping off roses. Works great, when I know where they are. My DH got me a new pressure cooker (old, weighted kind) that I can use on my flat cooktop. My other small one isn't flat on the bottom anymore and the big one would be too heavy :( I used to cook in a pressure cooker all the time, but a crockpot is better since I'm at work all day now. Still love it for canning!
As stated above, I have an electric pressure cooker. Love it. Turn it on and walk away, I also have the other kind that I use for pressure canning. I have the giant one, and it's really just too big to cook a chicken in - unless I do several at a time. That has never occurred to me. I also have 3 different sizes of crock pots. :oops:

I got a pair of heavy duty game shears from TSC, if you can find them they are a lot better than any other poultry shears for the price.
I got lucky and found a 4qt presto pressure cooker at a garage sale for $5, never used in the box, looked like 1970's probably. A lot heavier duty than the new one's.
I think it's a matter of preference, those of us that grew up using regular pressure cookers and canners see how easy they are to use, and probably wouldn't know how to use a new one lol.
Those that haven't are scared of them and prefer electric. I've never heard of anyone having a misshap with the old style.
I have heard the electric one's aren't as fast?
Nice thing about the pressure cooker besides saved time is saved energy. Once that weight gets a hoppin you can turn the burner down on low and it still keeps it up to pressure/temp.
Like I said a plain ole crock pot slow cooker will do the same, just takes hrs.
I used one many times for old birds, my first couple attempts with the pressure cooker resulted in a mess of meat and little bitty bone soup, inedible except for straining for stock.
I had to get the timing down right, 15-20mins all it takes.
Easy to monitor doneness with the slow cooker, and even if you forget about it and the bird does fall apart you can carefully salvage the meat.

Back
Top Bottom