Eating to Nourish the Body

Quote:
This statement alone makes you my hero. SOOOO many people do not understand those of us that eat saturated fats and remain healthy and youthful. I just turned 49 and got carded buying beer (for bread) at the local market. I LOVE when that happens!!!

Quote:
This statement alone makes you my hero. SOOOO many people do not understand those of us that eat saturated fats and remain healthy and youthful. I just turned 49 and got carded buying beer (for bread) at the local market. I LOVE when that happens!!!

Ours cells love to be kept plump
love.gif

I refuse to starve them and let them get flat and wrinkly
smile.png

Quote:

love.gif

smile.png

I am a plump woman by nature, with a healthy body. God made me this way. I lost 50 lbs when I stopped dieting.

Quote:
love.gif

smile.png

I am a plump woman by nature, with a healthy body. God made me this way. I lost 50 lbs when I stopped dieting.

I am waiting for my thyroid to heal up to the point that the weight will fall away.

I listened to Matt Stone (180 Degree Health ) today and he talked about the real reason dieting does not work.
Our bodies have a set weight, and messed up eating, dieting and diet restrictions actually keep resetting that set weight, slowly ratcheting it higher and higher.
We can lose 20 lbs thru deprivation, and then gain it back, plus a few more, all because we lost some muscle mass, and our bodies will replace it with fat in a big hurry to get back to the weight its set at.

Excellent Breakfast Cereal recipe to the rescue!
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/07/homemade-granola.html
one whole batch should make about 5 quarts of granola.

◦8 cups rolled oats
◦3/4 cup melted coconut oil
◦1/2 cup melted butter
◦1 1/2 cups kefir or cultured buttermilk (yogurt often produces a very tart flavor, unless you are skipping the soaking step)
◦1-2 cups water (use only as much as needed to produce a moist consistency for soaking)
◦1/2 cup raw honey
◦1/2-3/4 cup maple syrup (I increased the sweetener just a tad from the original, and I think it was almost perfect – so flex as you desire!)
◦1 tsp sea salt
◦4 tsp cinnamon
◦4 tsp vanilla extract
◦1 cup dried shredded coconut
◦1 cup raisins
◦1/2 cup sunflower seeds or chopped pumpkin seeds (I used the pumpkin seeds!)
◦1/4 cup minced dried figs (optional)
◦1 cup nuts (optional) – chopped almonds is wonderful!
◦1 cup dried apples, chopped
Directions:

Mix oats with the melted butter and oil, kefir and water in a large bowl. Cover with a cloth and/or plate and allow to sit at cool room temperature for 24 hours. After the soaking time, preheat the oven to 200° F (93° C).

Place honey, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla in a glass measuring cup in a small pot of warm water on the stove. Bring water to a gentle simmer, stirring honey mixture, until honey becomes thin.

Combine honey and oat mixtures, mixing to incorporate.

Spread mixture out over two parchment paper-lined cookie sheets (don’t use regular paper – I learned this lesson the hard way!). Bake for 2-4 hours, until granola is dry and crisp. Four hours was perfect for a slightly softer granola in our oven, which was what we like. Allow to cool in oven before removing to a container. It will get crisper at it cools.

Mix in coconut, raisins, sunflower seeds, fruit and nuts, as desired. Store in an airtight container. Serve with chilled raw milk.

*raises hand* Okay, let's say I did manage to find a raw milk source... so far it looks to be a drive seeing as how we're stuck smack in the middle of DFW, our doing not complaining, just pointing out it'd be a trek.

How often will I have to make that trek? Normally we don't go through more than two gallons a week. More like 1 1/2 really. But with cheesemaking being a bee in my bonnet that'll probably change. In any case, if I buy 2 gallons every Sunday will they still be fresh and tastey through Saturday? Or would I need to buy one Sunday, then trek out again on Wed or so?

No experience at all with fresh milk so I just don't know. Any tips there appreciated.

Paula Jo Anne: we have Nourishing Traditions too! Granted, I haven't really made much from it, but my sister makes lacto-fermented oatmeal from it often. Oh, and muchas gracias for the granola recipe! I like to have something that's more like a convenient cold cereal, but I know that even my homemade granola isn't as good as the fermented oatmeal, because it's cooked in dry heat, sans soaking. But when you said the granola is "softer," how much softer do you mean? I don't think we'd like particularly soggy granola.
hit.gif
But I'll probably give it a try. It'd be nice to have your cake and eat it too.
celebrate.gif

P.S. Is there a way to forego the kefir and substitute whey ?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
chocolate m'scovy :

Paula Jo Anne: we have Nourishing Traditions too! Granted, I haven't really made much from it, but my sister makes lacto-fermented oatmeal from it often. Oh, and muchas gracias for the granola recipe! I like to have something that's more like a convenient cold cereal, but I know that even my homemade granola isn't as good as the fermented oatmeal, because it's cooked in dry heat, sans soaking. But when you said the granola is "softer," how much softer do you mean? I don't think we'd like particularly soggy granola.
hit.gif
But I'll probably give it a try. It'd be nice to have your cake and eat it too.
celebrate.gif

P.S. Is there a way to forego the kefir and substitute whey ?
big_smile.png

The recipe is not mine. Its from the link at the top of the post.
The texture will be up to what your mouth and teeth prefer
smile.png

Yes, whey can be used, though you will want to use water and some whey.​

Quote:
Call the nearest far to you, and ask how they operate.
Some farms each family makes the weekly or bi weekly (use quart jars and your milk will hold for two weeks, since it not being exposed to oxygen) while most run on a co-op system.
You join a co-op, buy your shares, and then take a turn getting milk for everyone in the group.
My co-op has an 8 week rotation, for example.

Raw milk does not go bad. Pasturized does.
It turns sour and becomes clabbered instead. Makes an excellent raw cheese.

Back
Top Bottom